SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem error Help!?!?!
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

While taking pics yesterday I got a notification that stated "Blank SD card (SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem)". This SD card is in my Motorola Droid X (which I have only had for 8mnths).  I am not able to take pics, lost all photos and music that was on my phone.

SanDisk 16gb Micro SD HC

I tried 3 different computers and none of them will recognize the SD card. (with adapter and usb cord)

I have not done a format on the card yet incase there is a chance to recover the missing data.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Re: SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem error Help!?!?!
cw12079

Just had the same thing happen to me today.... Went to Verizon store and when I asked them about it they just said that they were going to overnight a new phone to me... I still haven't been able to get mine to work. Have tried taking battery out and removing the sd card and still did not work. Also tried mounting the sd card in via the phone menu and still did not work. Verizon offered no explanation as to why this happened either....

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Try reading the sd card with a separate card reader on a computer. If that works. Copy the contents of the sd card to a folder on the computer. Then format the sd card. Then you can copy the contents back to the sd card. I would suggest that you copy one folder at a time. Then if there is a corrupt file, you will have a better chance of pinpointing it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

stacnpa wrote:

While taking pics yesterday I got a notification that stated "Blank SD card (SD card blank or has unsupported filesystem)". This SD card is in my Motorola Droid X (which I have only had for 8mnths).  I am not able to take pics, lost all photos and music that was on my phone.

SanDisk 16gb Micro SD HC

I tried 3 different computers and none of them will recognize the SD card. (with adapter and usb cord)

I have not done a format on the card yet incase there is a chance to recover the missing data.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Don't expect Verizon to do anything about it. I tried last week on both the 800# and in the corporate store across from work and they both pretty much told me it's not their problem and I was SOL.

best thing you can do is just shell out a little money to get your own card and not deal with VZW about it. They don't care as they consider the card a 'freebie' and will do everything in their power to avoid having to replace it (some stores will actually do the right thing, but very few and far between). Amazing how a card that is worth to Verizon about $5 at the most will have lost them a customer becuase they can't be bothered to replace something that the phone came with, yet they say is Motorola's problem

good luck with getting it fixed

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Cw12079,

I understand how important your pictures and videos are to you, as the same is important to me! Thanks Ann154, for your posting. I would definitely recommend following her instructions to see if you can retrieve your data. 

I do want to ask,  have you been able to get the data backed up to your PC or back on the device? Did the replacement phone fix it for you? Please post back with how it is working for you. 

Thank you, 

0 Likes
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Everyone!  Thanks again for your suggestions!!!!!

Unfortunately I was not able to recover the photos and music from the corrupted SD card.  I tried using several card readers, desktop PC's, laptops, Windows XP, Windows 7, connecting the phone to systems with USB cord.  I even downloaded several free data recovery apps.  When I ran the recovery programs all of them came back with no data/files found.  I still have the card hoping that I come across something that works. 

Again, Verizon was not helpful over the phone.  THey transferred me to Motorola again no help.  Motorola never called me back like they said.  I still need to go into an actual Verizon store... They can at least replace my card for me which I was told they would on the phone when I placed my original call for help.

I had a spare 2gb card that I put in the phone and everything works fine now.  I noticed since doing a recent system update the phone reboots a lot more then ever.  I wonder if this may have had anything to do with it? 

I just don't understand HOW this happen while in the middle of taken photos. 

Thanks again!

Stacey

0 Likes
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just did another update on my phone.  YEAH, guess what just happen?  The phone can NOT recognize my SD card. 

What is going on??  Are you not suppose to update the phone with the SD card in?  Is it typical when doing updates the card is erased? 

Grabbing my keys right now and heading into the Verizon store now!  Wish me luck!

0 Likes
stacnpa
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok that was weird!  I plugged the usb cable in for a few seconds and removed it.  NOW my pics and music are on the phone/sd card?  This is on the new 2gb card.  Still going to verizon.

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

This is amazing - suddenly all these SD cards are coming up as being bad on Droid X's lately. Mine failed 2 weeks ago and now I'm finding several posts a day about them failing on other cards

I've actually purchased a new SD card on my own (thanks for nothing VZW!) and I noticed Saturday evening when trying to take pictures at a wedding with it, that it wouldn't save the pictures I took. I rebooted the phone and I could take them again (one picture showed some signs of corruption), but less than 24 hrs later the problem came back until I did a reboot. This is exactly what was going on with my phone prior to the original VZW supplied SD card crapped out on me and I'm hoping that I'm not gonna be out $$ for my new SD card to crap out too. I'm really starting to think it is the phone that is causing the cards to go bad. I had the problem show up after the original GB update...it was fine when it was on Froyo. How can I put a brand new PNY 16GB class 10 SD card in my phone and 2 weeks later it is showing signs of potentially being corrupted? yeah I'm sure some of you will say they go bad more often than most think, but 2 cards go bad in the same phone within a months time? Thats not right

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@keiffers
I will have to agree with you there. Two different sd cards shouldn't go bad with in months of each other while being used in the same phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes