Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Charge Display Settings (Brightness)
_wildturkey_

I have a Samsung Charge Model Number SCH-1510, Build number SCH-I510.EP4 with hardware version i510.06

I found an issue with the back light brightness settings that I believe is a flaw in the hardware. When I first purchased the unit I noticed that my back light kept dimming to the lowest setting automatically. I thought it was possibly because I let the battery run down and then I noticed that while I was in the middle of texting someone the screen would go dark. This of course would happen at the worst time for me. When I was a passenger in a car at night it would happen and then it would take me forever to fumble through the screens to figure out how to turn the light back on.

Well I discovered that if you turn off the auto brightness feature because I want it to be bright all the time. If you are sitting on any screen (Home screen is easiest to recreate this) and you grab the top part of the device, allowing your thumb to touch two parts of the screen across the top. The back light will dim itself to the lowest setting.Hold your thumb there until the device goes dim which is about 2 seconds and then go check your brightness settings.

Give it a try and see if you can do it. I am on my third device because they keep telling me it is a hardware problem.

I can take pictures if needed to help recreate the issue.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Charge Display Settings (Brightness)
JerryF

It's NOT a flaw, it is is a Samsung feature on their phones.  It makes it very easy to change the display brightness at any time without changing screens.

To disable it touch settings>display settings>brightness and touch the Automatic brightness check mark so the orange check mark shows and it will no longer work.

I usually touch the lower point on the check mark at the top of the display and drag my finger left (darker) or right (brighter) for a continuous change in the display 's brightness.

On the other hand touching the display like you do also works.

I think you'll like this feature.  It sure gives you a quick way to make the screen brighter if you are outside.

To stop that automatic dimming of the display touch settings>display settings>and UN check power saving mode. 

Also, if your display DIMS while you are using the phone immediately touch any blank area of the screen and it will become brighter again.  You can go to settings>display settings>screen timeout and set the screen timeout for 15 seconds up the 10 minutes.  Mine is set for 2 minutes.

JerryF

PS, Did Verizon give you new replacement phones because of this feature???  I can't believe that they thought your phone was not working correctly because of this very helpful Samsung feature.

0 Likes
_wildturkey_

Dimming the brightness of the screen could be a feature but changing my settings simply because of the way I am holding the device is not a feature that is bad design.

A feature would also be listed in the manual of the device, if not the user manual then the technical manual for the support team, which it is not listed in either.

A feature would dim the screen but not change my settings on the device and default that screen brightness to a point that seeing what you are doing is almost impossible.

A feature this is not but a design FLAW it is.

0 Likes
JerryF

wildturkey,

If this is the only problem you are having with your phone, you are a lucky Dude.  Keep that phone!

On the other hand, I am interested so can you please answer the PS at the end of my post?

Thanks,

JerryF

0 Likes
_wildturkey_

Yes, this is the second phone they have given me. This is not the only issue I have had with this device either.

I have had constant issues with the "TWclosure" program crashing and battery issues. Most of those errors are fixed with the simple procedure of setting your phone back to factory default and then spending the next several hours downloading your data and apps that are now gone.

0 Likes
JerryF

wildturkey,

I really hate it when the VZW folks tell users to do a draconian Factory Reset.  Here is my rule for myself.  If you cannot find a fix do this, first, before a Factory reset.  BTW, maybe I am lucky, but I have never had to do a Factory Reset.  Always try the following first.

Remove the battery, the SD card, and then the SIM card.  Leave the battery out for at least 15+ minutes so the phone loses ALL power.  Then reinstall the SIM card, the SD card and finally the battrery and restart your phone.  Doing this will NOT destroy your data and APPs and it fixes some things  without a Factory Reset.

I have never heard of the "TW Closure" program.  What is it?

JerryF.

0 Likes