Re: Samsung Droid Charge -- No 4g or 3g network connection
paperclips

I'm actually getting a free sim card in the mail after getting on the phone with Verizon and not letting them hang up until they came to a solution as to how to solve this problem. No idea if the new sim card will work, but it's definitely worth a shot. If all else fails they promised a replacement device (hopefully somethign equal in value to the phone). 

They admitted the Droid Charge had a weaker anntenae than 3G devices so it's common to drop service....wonderful, right? I'd call them up and ask them to get you a phone that works. I hope you get this sorted out. I'm crossing my fingers as well on this one...

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

dantivirus wrote:

I am literally getting sick of this. I live within a 4G area, never get a 4G signal unless I go to the airport. Joy.

Now since Friday my phone keeps going from no data, 1x data, 3G data. It will not stay on 3G even if I switch it to CDMA only and turn off LTE. Most of the time it's getting no data or 1x, 3G comes and goes. It's not my phone as they have already replaced it once and other Charge users in my area are getting the exact same issue.

What is going on? Tech support has zero clue, Samsung has zero clue. No one in authority seems to have a single clue.

First, I need answers this is simply silly that I cannot get an answer on this issue. Second, why in blazes does your 4G LTE site keep telling me over and over I have 4G LTE coverage at my house and area when I can only pick it up at the airport?

I just want some honest answers from Verizon on these issues please.

Welcome to our exclusive club...it's not a happy place to be.

0 Likes
Ray999
Contributor - Level 1

DroidCharge wrote:

SAME ISSUE HERE:

Mobile Data ON: Mobile Data ON Picture

Error Message: Error Message Picture

Seems like a common occurance.

I have two phones, Droid Charge and Droid X on two different VZW lines.

The Droid X with no connection issues. 3G service. Accessing all data on my phone (market, apps, websites).

But I look over at my Droid Charge and no 3G, no data connections, market wont work, websites from my phones browser will not work.

But then in a few minutes it comes on. It is like it has a mind of its own.

If there was a fix, an app running in the background?

I took the phone to a Certified VZW Service area and they went into the browser and cleared the cache, cookie, and history. Then like before it started working after a few minutes and the tech was convinced that that was the fix. I am not.

VERIZON? Any information for your customers?

This is a very common occurrance for me as of late when I am at my office which usually just has 3G. It has happened at my home also which usually has very good 4G. Toggling Airplane mode works sometimes other times it takes a reboot to get a connection back. Frustrating to say the least.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Good Morning!

Thank you to the community for your contributions!

This is a concern that Samsung and VZW are investigating together to correct for our customers.

In the mean time, please ensure to check the following: Menu>Settings>> Wireless and Network>>Mobile Networks and ensure 'Use Packet Data' is checked and System Selection is on 'LTE'.

Please PM me your name and mobile number so I may escalate this issue further for you!

Thank you!

vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

Adam I PM'd you last week but did not hear back from you.  My settings are exactly like you stated as they are for almost all the people that have the same issue on the many forums where this is discussed.

I AM glad to hear that finally VZW and Samsung have acknowledged the issue exists and was not fixed in the EE4 upadate.  I have instances of this 'data connectivity' almost every day and my wife's IPhone is always the 'benchmark' to prove that we are not in any 'deadspots' or there is not any trouble with the Verizon system when I'm experiencing these issues.  I can also attest to the fact that my first Charge showed exactly the same problems as my current Charge.

I know that these issues are not the result of a defective phone per se, but either a serious design flaw in the phone itself or something inherent in the VZW 4G system that also impacts how 3G is received by these 4G phones. The problem is never manifested in phone calls but rather just data and any application that requires that data.

Frankly I'm amazed that these 4G phones got through VZW QC.  I just can't imagine the testing didn't bring out these issues since they are so widespread.

Booch

I have been playing around with the settings as well, trying to find a perfect combination.  Unfortunately, I don't believe one exists. 

Just like vidguy7, I am on my second phone and unsure if our problems are the result of a faulty phone or a poor design by Verizon infrastructure. 

In the mean time, I guess I will continue giving over $100 a month to Verizon for TERRIBLE and UNRELIABLE service. 

I am starting to get very disgusted at this issue.  I feel as if we are guinea pigs that have been tricked into false pretenses.  Not only is Verizon ignoring the issue, but there will not be any type of compensation for our troubles.  I'm not out to get rich or cheat the system, but Verizon could easily provide us a free accessory or reduce our monthly bill for one month. 

VERIZON--Should customers be forced into restarting their new, expensive phones several times in one day?  Is that a good customer experience?  When can we expect to see a resolution?  (I know Verizon won't answer these questions.  They'll continue to answer the questions like "How do I move widgets?")

0 Likes
MrBrent

I am having all the same issues detailed by others with my new Samsung Charge.

It's ironic -- just after I got it, I was bragging about all the cool things this phone could do compared to my previous Blackberry, but I'm ready to go back to a Blackberry. It worked flawlessly for all the basics -- phone (never dropped a call and got reception where many others couldn't,) email, calendar and internet connectivity.

All the apps are useless if you can't use the phone or get online, right?

Seems to me that Smart Phone is a bit of a misnomer -- smart, maybe, but phone? -- only part-time.

After reading your posts, I'm taking mine back tonight to exchange for something that works.

0 Likes
PeterDLai

I'm not sure if I have the same exact issue as you guys or not... it seems like every once in a while, my 4G LTE connection will stall, but when this happens, it doesn't switch to 3G or 1X or anything, the 4G LTE icon remains but there is no downstream connectivity. When this happens, I can usually see some upstream connectivity (the up arrow flashes occasionally), but either I wait it out (can range anywhere from 5-10 seconds to several minutes) and it will automatically start working again or I am forced to toggle airplane mode/mobile data or toggle between CDMA only/LTE automatic modes to get it back working instantly.

I noticed in the Anandtech review of this phone that the reviewer had the same exact behavior: "My only complaint is that every once in a while, the LTE data session sometimes stalls briefly – sometimes for a a few seconds, other times for a few minutes. When that happens, you’ll see the uplink green arrow blink, but no orange downlink arrow. Rebooting the device fixes things."

What it sounds like to me is you guys are experiencing issues with 3G/4G handoff, but mine doesn't appear to be switching at all, just losing connectivity (which is quite annoying when I'm streaming anything a la Internet radio, YouTube, Justin.tv, etc.). At first I thought it was an issue with Verizon's LTE network, but the reviewer at Anandtech (who also reviewed the Thunderbolt/Revolution) didn't experience this with the other two LTE phones.

It may have something to do with the RIL Samsung wrote for this device as I actually found this thread pertaining to the Galaxy S II and data connection stalling, which sounds eerily similar to the problem you guys seem to be having except in their case, switching between 3G and HSPA+.

Regardless of how this issue is perceived by any one of us, the bottom line is that the data connection drops are a definite flaw of this otherwise great phone, and I really hope it's something that they will recognize and fix, whether it be through software (RIL) or hardware (firmware update).

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

That thread you cited runs about 12 pages and many of the complaints do sound similar to what we're experiencing here.  That's not a good sign since it really may show a hardware issue with these Samsung phones.  But again, how is it possible that VZW didn't pick this up in their QC testing before the phone was released?

0 Likes
rentien

Hi All,

I just wanted to add that I also have this issue as well.

No consistent 4G connection in areas that are solidly 4G according to many Verizon Reps. I even went into a Verizon store, and they had a Mifi device showing it was getting 4G reception at the time, but my Droid Charge was on 3G. I also many times go down to 1X, when other friends around me consistently get 3G reception.

0 Likes