Screen blacks out frequently
Droid2GlobalWriter

My Droid2 Global is up-to-date. It's also 2 years old.

Recently when I open it to access the screen, the bottom lights might turn on, but the screen itself is completely blank. Sometimes closing it and reopening it will force it to work, but lately, the only thing that will work is (a) receiving an SMS, (b) receiving a phone call (c) removing the battery (because depressing the on/off button doesn't do squat) and replacing the battery. Over the past few days (c) has been the only way to get the screen to come up as incoming phone calls won't trigger it.

Also, I should point out that the phone is current with updates.

Is there a remedy?

(edited to remove the hotly debated upgrade aspect, which isn't the issue, I'm just looking for people who have experienced this, know a solution or a possible work around).

0 Likes
Re: Screen blacks out frequently
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Droid2GlobalWriter wrote:

I'm hoping to avoid upgrading as that means all 4 phones on our plan will have to be upgraded as well, 2 of which are non-data phones as they're used by teens with no need for the smart phone when the cost of driver's insurance premiums at this phase are so high (besides, it's less of a temptation to use while driving, IMHO). 

Why would you think that upgrading your phone would require you to upgrade all phones on your plan?

0 Likes
Droid2GlobalWriter

Because with one phone upgrading, the plan would have to be renewed. We're hoping to avoid that if possible.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Each phone/line has its own contract.  Unless you bought/last renewed all phones on the same day, they won't have the same contract end date (and therefore won't have the same upgrade date).  And just because a contract ends, doesn't mean you have to upgrade ... you just go month-to-month.

0 Likes
Droid2GlobalWriter

That's not the way my representative explained it.

Regardless, that's the last ditch resolve. I'd prefer to get the phone issue resolved and not go through the hassle of upgrading.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Then there are a couple of explanations

1 - either you did not understand the rep, or

2 - the rep does not know how Verizon contracts work.

Of course, the rep may have told you it would be best to upgrade all of the lines at the same time, but that is more a preference than a requirement.

0 Likes
Droid2GlobalWriter

Again, whether or not the phone can be upgraded is *not* the issue. I would prefer it if someone could address the issue of the ongoing and erratic blank screen *if* you are aware of it, experienced it, or know the cause/solution. Debating misinformation, account regeneration, upgrades, etc are not the issue at hand.

Thank you.

0 Likes
raeneb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue.  The only solution I have found is leaving the screen on which of course drains the battery quickly.  Have had no luck with soft resets, hard resets, etc.  Every verizon rep I have talked to on line, on the phone, in store, has done basically nothing but told me I have 2 get a new phone.  However, 2 get a new phone they insist I must get a new plan, because the plan I have is no longer offered.  Have loved my Droid 3 up until now.  Will keep searching for an answer.

0 Likes