Screen flickers when cold
HeyKacey
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Droid X screen flickers or bands when cold. After flickering for a few seconds screen turns white then eventually black. I can place screen against my arm to warm it up, but this only works until the screen gets cold again. BTW by cold I mean when the screen feels cool to the touch (The room temp and outside temp is between 60 F and 70 F) If the screen changes/refreshes (example: a call comes in) the screen flashes back to normal for a few seconds before flickering again. (This Droid X is a little over a year old)

Any solutions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Screen flickers when cold
HeyKacey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I may have found a fix! The brightness on my Droid X was set to auto. I turned it all the way up, and it hasn't flickered for the last half hour. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Really sounds like a h/w issue ...  There is a free App called "Z-Device Test" in market that has a Screen Test component. Maybe give that a try ...  Otherwise, a trip to a Verizon store is probably in order ..   of course you're out of warranty, ugh ...  They will likely do a Factory Reset (or Flash) to put it back to factory defaults, and see if the problem goes away. Of course you can try that yourself, but from what you describe, sounds more of a Hardware issue ..  good luck.

0 Likes
HeyKacey
Enthusiast - Level 2

The z-device test app only tests the interactive functions of the screen, like how it responds to touch. The flickering is happening on it's own (whether I'm touching the screen or not). I do appreciate the app suggestion though. Warming the screen does halt the flickering temporarily. Another note, my husband has a Droid X that he got the same day as mine. His works fine, but his screen is always warmer than mine. (I am aware of how crazy that sounds.)

0 Likes
HeyKacey
Enthusiast - Level 2

I may have found a fix! The brightness on my Droid X was set to auto. I turned it all the way up, and it hasn't flickered for the last half hour. 

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

More of a band-aid to a likely hardware issue ...  it shouldn't flicker, even at low brightness,when "cold".  The problem with turning it  "all the way up"  (e.g., 100% ??)  is that it will drain your battery much faster.   But hey, if you're happy we're happy for you..  🙂

0 Likes
HeyKacey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Right, it's just a fix so I can hold on to my Droid X a little longer. 

0 Likes
hilary0

I have the flickering screen problem (lower quarter) but changing the brightness settings did not change it.

0 Likes