Seeking advice from community
kpaterniti

I am set to get a new phone anytime now and I am going to be upgrading to a smartphone.  I'm pretty set on getting an Android based phone and in particular the Incredible or the Nexus One.  This is where my problem lies, do I get the Incredible at the end of this month?  Or do I hold out for the Nexus One which is supposed to be out . . . now?  The release date for the Nexus One says Spring 2010, is there a more specific date than that?  I would prefer the Nexus One as it seems more ergonomical and easier to navigate and operate.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks again.

0 Likes
Re: Seeking advice from community
M3lton
Contributor - Level 1

I'd go with the HTC Incredible. In fact, I'm exchanging my Eris for one at the end of this month.

The Nexus One is great, but the Incredible has the same if not better functionality and is better looking in my opinion.

You can't go wrong with either one, but the Incredible is coming out this month, so you'd get it sooner and it can do everything the Nexus One can, and maybe even better.

Do it!

0 Likes
Incredible vs Nexus One
nonie3234
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I were you, I'd go with the Incredible, but I am biased toward the Sense UI - the user interface that comes on HTC products, and not on the Motorola and the Nexus. I like it because it allows you to customize your phone with a gazillion widgets over seven screens! On the other hand, some people HATE the Sense UI. You'll have to decide which camp you're in.

Another reason that I would choose the Incredible is that - no matter how cool the Nexus might be, it's something sold by Google and serviced by Google. My understanding is that if you have any problem with the phone, you have to call Google or mail it to them.

Here is a head-to-head comparison:

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-incredible-vs-evo-4g-vs-nexus-one

Here's a review:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36654326/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

kpaterniti

Ok, I see that they are all very similar.  One thing that sttod out to me was the "TV out" spec on the Incredible.  What exactly is this feature?  I'm a bit confused with the "Sense" feature as well.  I tried searching for information but not much came up, just a bunch of reviews on it.

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

TV out to my understanding is going to use RCA plugs.  It basically is so you can play your videos on your tv if you want.  Things you recorded and downloaded or are streaming.  It will plug in somewhere probably either through the earphone port using a special plug (like my laptop used to do) or it will connect to the usb port.  There might be a separate port for it but I kind of doubt it.  The Incredible eclipses the N1 really same processor, better camera, more memory (built in 6.6 as opposed to the n1 comes with a 4gb card and it is said that Verizon is putting an 8Gb card in with the Incredible so tons of memory), better touch recognition (N1's sensors aren't designed for multitouch so they have limitations the Incredible has different sensors for infinite touches (limited by physical reality only supposedly)), Sense UI, and a touch sensor for navigation instead of a trackball (less moving parts means less that can break). 

Now Sense UI is essentially an enhanced User Interface.  It was developed by HTC first for the Windows Mobile phones and then for Android phones.  It has deeper enhancements like Flashlite 4 which gives limited Flash player capabilities (to tied us over until Flash 10.1 is released someday).  There are also some Sense only widgets and what-not.  If you are just dead bent on using plain Android you can deactivate Sense (without voiding any warranties or anything it is just a matter of telling it to use the homescreen switcher) You cannot however activate Sense UI on an N1 without voiding your warranty.  When I got my DROID I really wanted the Droid Eris despite the lesser specifications, I just couldnt use the virtual keyboard.  I found out later part of the problem was the Eris's sensors.  The incredible not only uses better sensors but a larger keyboard layout.  To give you perspective my fingers are slightly over 3/4 inches across at the tips. I only use the virtual keypad on the DROID despite buying for the physical keypad.  It works well even for my large fingers the Incredible has approximately 1.5 times the key size. 

Finally one of the reasons that hasn't been discussed yet is, There hasn't been any word on whether or not Verizon will subsidize the Nexus 1.  AT&T chose not to.  In fact the only company that has chosen to subsidize it so far is T-Mobile and there are restrictions on what kind of plans you can get and all that.  So you may end up holding out for it only to find that it is a $530 phone as opposed to the Incredible for $199.  You might also find however that it is a $179 phone in which case think what you will about it.  One of the reasons it was put off is because it is using a brand new chipset.  This may be the first phone released using that chipset and if that is the case there are two problems.  First you don't know if it will be pushed back a few times because of problems in testing and you don't know if it will be completely bug free when you get it. 

0 Likes
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you, you have successfully authenticated. A Verizon agent will message you shortly.
0 Likes