Sending video via text...
Galaxy80
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, I noticed this earlier tonight. I took a little 30 second clip with my phone, which it seemed like the colors were a lot more crisp for some reason. I decided to send it to my girlfriend through text messaging, which I have done several times on Froyo. Gingerbread told me that the file size was too big. Even when I tried to resize, which you have to go through several steps to do instead of it asking you automatically and immediately, it wouldn't send the video. The file size was 39.22mb, so even though it was a little big, it wasn't outrageous. Does anyone know of a way to force Gingerbread to send video over text? I have unlimited data, so I don't see why it won't let me do it anymore...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sending video via text...
Wildman
Legend

Verizon has a MMS size limit of 1.2 Megs, that is you issue and I noticed that the camera with GB actually records hogher quality videos compared to Froyo, try changing the settings in the camera to a lower setting..... 

The size limit was discussed at http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Incredible-by-HTC/video-size-limit-on-MMS-htc-incredible/td-p/2028... , you may want to check it out...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2
Try a smaller video just to be sure it will work I know there is a size cap but never hit it only done videos 20seconds and under
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Verizon has a MMS size limit of 1.2 Megs, that is you issue and I noticed that the camera with GB actually records hogher quality videos compared to Froyo, try changing the settings in the camera to a lower setting..... 

The size limit was discussed at http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-Incredible-by-HTC/video-size-limit-on-MMS-htc-incredible/td-p/2028... , you may want to check it out...

0 Likes
Galaxy80
Enthusiast - Level 3
Thank you Wildman. I didn't know there was a limit. I tried editing the video to a lower quality but it was still at 1.6mb and telling me it was too large.
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Galaxy80 wrote:
Thank you Wildman. I didn't know there was a limit. I tried editing the video to a lower quality but it was still at 1.6mb and telling me it was too large.

Additionally, with the Droid X, if I remember correctly, I have not been able to send any video via MMS unless I first went into the camcorder menu and selected "video message" under "video modes". I think I remember that the Droid X will not allow MMS of any other video mode except for the "video message" mode, regardless of size. It has been awhile since I sent one, and my memory may not be that accurate.

AyaniB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Galaxy80,

I apologize for the delayed response.  I definitely understand the importance of sharing video clips with family members. Thanks to the community for offering resolutions. The Droid X has a 8 megapixel camera however, the maximum file size for picture / video messages varies from device to device. Devices with a 3.0 or higher megapixel camera can send / receive a maximum file size of 600 KB. Try lowering the video resolution which will reduce the image file size,  by going to Camera>Menu>Settings>Video Resolution.  Please let me know if need additional assistance.

Thank you for your patience,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AyaniB_VZW wrote:

Hello Galaxy80,

I apologize for the delayed response.  I definitely understand the importance of sharing video clips with family members. Thanks to the community for offering resolutions. The Droid X has a 8 megapixel camera however, the maximum file size for picture / video messages varies from device to device. Devices with a 3.0 or higher megapixel camera can send / receive a maximum file size of 600 KB. Try lowering the video resolution which will reduce the image file size,  by going to Camera>Menu>Settings>Video Resolution.  Please let me know if need additional assistance.

Thank you for your patience,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Is this a typo, are you saying the size limit is 600 KB for a video? How is that possible? A video at lowest setting for a few seconds will exceed this size..

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Wildman!

In response to AyaniB_VZW forum post, yes, the file size limit for picture or video messaging is 600 KB, which is equivalent to approximately 0.586 MB's.  Now this is in relation to sending via MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service), the same way you would send a text.  The network cannot support file sizes larger than 600 MB's.  If you want to send a larger file, such as pictures or videos, that would have to sent via email, or you may sync the file using an USB cable to a computer.  That would be another option for sending larger picture or video files.

Let me know if I have answered your question.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Thank you for your reply AnthonyTa_VZW butI am still a little confused because I have sent files a little bigger than 1 meg several times through MMS, also on the same note I cont get such a small limit when the device supports YouTube upload and video file sharing, how is this option suppose to be possible if the user can only do this by email?  I aways thought that was the point for the quick upload option that list YouTube, MMS and Facebook as options..

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Wildman wrote:

Thank you for your reply AnthonyTa_VZW butI am still a little confused because I have sent files a little bigger than 1 meg several times through MMS, also on the same note I cont get such a small limit when the device supports YouTube upload and video file sharing, how is this option suppose to be possible if the user can only do this by email?  I aways thought that was the point for the quick upload option that list YouTube, MMS and Facebook as options..

I understand your concerns and the confusion for the MMS limitations in comparison with the streaming capabilities of your device. Please keep in mind that uploading videos to Youtube or any other online service is done over data network and does not have the limitations of a short code multimedia message.

We understand our customer's desire to share large picture/video files, and the email option provides a perfect solution to the MMS size limitations. While you have several options to share your media, all options are different and have different capabilities and limitations.

0 Likes