Spontaneous self reboot deleted all my contacts
DemonWolf

Like many other DROID 2s here, my droid likes to reboot itself often.  I'll be sitting at my desk and little R2D2 will poke his head up to say hello.  He also likes to do it when its really inappropriate, like meetings and church.  He delights in rebooting himself if I am using my droid to take notes or something else that is important and requires him to be a bit stable.  In fact, he's rebooted himself once while I was typing this.  I'm not even touching the phone.

Apparently these little pranks are not good enough because last night he decided to reboot and wipe out all my contacts.  I tried to synch from the website, but that has been ineffective.  I tried following the directions on the Backup Assistant page, but it tells me to hit the "restore" button.  My backup Assistant doesn't have a "restore" button.  There's a synch button, a dropdown menu to change the automatic synch times, and a dropdown to change my PIN.  It also says 1.0 in the top right, so I may be using an older version.

For now, my questions are:

How can I restore my contacts?  Do I need to update backup assistant?  If so, can you provide a link?  I appear to be unable to find it in the marketplace. 

I'll leave the question about the reboots for another time.  There are enough people reporting that one that I'll just read the existing threads.

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes
Re: Spontaneous self reboot deleted all my contacts
Not applicable

Hi Demonwolf: 

We want to avoid master resets whenever possible, so I recommend the below steps to get your contacts back. 

1) Ensure your contacts were backed up using the Backup Assistant site.   If they are listed on the site, we can get them back to the phone by following the below steps. If the contacts aren't in the trash on the site or listed at all, skip to step 2. If you do see them on the site, please place a call to the number ##282778. This should force a start of the Backup Assistant app and prompt you to restore your info. 

2) See if your contacts are on the Gmail website.  Go to www.gmail.com > Log in> Click contacts. If all of your contacts are here, you can get them back on the phone. You can do this by clicking Settings> Accounts> Gmail Account> Check or Uncheck and Check Sync Contacts. This should force a communication sync with Google. 

3) If options 1 or 2 haven't resolved your issue, please go to your contacts icon> Press the menu key> Choose display options> Make sure Google is checked. 

Please try those steps and let us know if any of them worked. 

Thanks,

0 Likes
DemonWolf

The contacts are listed on the backup assistant site.  I placed a call to ##282778 but my contacts are still not on my phone.  I was unable to find my contacts in google.  I'm not sure if it was ever set up to store my phone contacts.

I am really not looking forward to copying every one by hand.

0 Likes
Bilfer49

There seems to be a problem with backup assistant.  I too lost all my contacts last night.  This morning i called tech support and was passed to a higher tier tech.  He informed me that this was his 6th call already and they are aware of the problem and are contacting the vendor

He gave noo ETA

0 Likes
DemonWolf

I've already started doing manually.  A sales person in the store suggested I try a factory reset.  All this did was deleta all my data.  :smileysad:

On the plus side, I really need to organize my contacts.  I can probably condense quite a few of them.  Some of these have been in there quite a long time and have seperate listings for cell phones and home phones.

0 Likes