Strange Txt msgs
tjhacker87

I keep getting a few of these weird txt messages each day, just got one from the number 6200, here is the txt in it: BREW:0X01017246:TYPE:SAS;UI=0;CONT=,,;

Anyone have a clue where and what these are from, I read once that these were from where my old phone had mobile email and that the service needed canceled, so i called when i first got the droid about 6 months ago, so i called and they did so, and it stopped for a while, but now its back again, any knowledge to this nuisance?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Strange Txt msgs
Faafil
Enthusiast - Level 3

EdW_VZW wrote:

Faafil wrote:

I know this is an old post but I just got two text messages from 6200

//BREW:0x01017246:TYPE=SAS;UI=0;CONT=0,1,0;

Apparently it has something to do with Verizon's Backup Assistant.  Perhaps confirming changes?? I just edited two contacts and got the texts right afterward...

Thanks for your inquiry. Per the information you provided, it does sound like the message received was confirming your edited contacts via the Backup Assistant was processed. At times we want to provide some notification if needed in alerting that the Backup Assistant update went through OK besides a message on your display.  Also, some messages can come from third parties depending on an App function. Bear in mind, not each message would be the same on one phone as opposed to another. This could be due to different Aps on one phone as opposed to another. It would be a great knowing what kind of device you had received the message on for future reference. This can help in passing along specific more information on the matter. 

Hi Ed,

After doing a Google search, I confirmed that it is Backup Assistant. I had a previous "dumb" phone, and upgraded in February to a Droid X. All those contacts were saved & transferred in Backup Assistant when I got the new phone.

After the recent Gingerbread update, the birthdays in contacts were displaying as a number string instead of a date, so I was trying to correct that from my pc. The option is no longer available through the phone to add/edit birthdays and anniversaries. (why?)

Each time I made a change to a contact in Backup Assistant,  I got a text from 6200. I am surprised that '6200' isn't somehow identified as being from Verizon though.

The real problem was, that since I also use gmail, I had two entries for every contact, one from Backup Assistant, and one from Gmail on my phone. My solution was to delete all the contacts from Backup Assistant - problem solved, and no more texts from 6200.

Thanks for the response!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jnepsa
Enthusiast - Level 3

You may have to call back in or check the settings on the email account that was set up. It still has the code of mobile email so its definitely that.

0 Likes
tjhacker87

I called Verizon, the lady didn't seem to have a clue about what I was saying, she was determined to think it was a message from a 3rd party vendor and that all I needed to do was txt stop back.  So now what?

0 Likes
jnepsa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Call in and get into tech support. Thats probably going to be the only way... Or go into a corp. store and see if they can help more.

0 Likes
Faafil
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apparently it has something to do with Verizon's Backup Assistant.  Perhaps confirming changes?? I just edited two contacts and got the texts right afterward...

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Faafil wrote:

Thanks for your inquiry. Per the information you provided, it does sound like the message received was confirming your edited contacts via the Backup Assistant was processed. At times we want to provide some notification if needed in alerting that the Backup Assistant update went through OK besides a message on your display.  Also, some messages can come from third parties depending on an App function. Bear in mind, not each message would be the same on one phone as opposed to another. This could be due to different Aps on one phone as opposed to another. It would be a great knowing what kind of device you had received the message on for future reference. This can help in passing along specific more information on the matter. 

0 Likes
Faafil
Enthusiast - Level 3

EdW_VZW wrote:

Faafil wrote:

Hi Ed,

After doing a Google search, I confirmed that it is Backup Assistant. I had a previous "dumb" phone, and upgraded in February to a Droid X. All those contacts were saved & transferred in Backup Assistant when I got the new phone.

After the recent Gingerbread update, the birthdays in contacts were displaying as a number string instead of a date, so I was trying to correct that from my pc. The option is no longer available through the phone to add/edit birthdays and anniversaries. (why?)

Each time I made a change to a contact in Backup Assistant,  I got a text from 6200. I am surprised that '6200' isn't somehow identified as being from Verizon though.

The real problem was, that since I also use gmail, I had two entries for every contact, one from Backup Assistant, and one from Gmail on my phone. My solution was to delete all the contacts from Backup Assistant - problem solved, and no more texts from 6200.

Thanks for the response!

0 Likes
Faafil
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Ed,

I also just ran across this thread which has a similar situation in the Verizon Droid X forum:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Stopping-A-Message-That-Comes-Through-As-BREW-0108f3...

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Faafil wrote:

Hi Ed,

I also just ran across this thread which has a similar situation in the Verizon Droid X forum:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Stopping-A-Message-That-Comes-Through-As-BREW-0108f3...

Hi Faafil,

Thank you for the additional information on what you replied back with in your two previous posting. I hope your concerns have been addressed. 

0 Likes