Sudden drop in battery life?
syrcaid

So I've had my Droid X since August 19th.  Had no problems with it initially that I noticed.  If I left it alone for the most part during the day, the battery would last maybe a day and a half  before dropping to around 20-30% and I would charge it.  However, for the past week and a half, I've noticed the battery life dropping rapidly for no apparant reason.  I have an indicator on there that shows the percent it's at and it drops like 50% in 4-6 hours with minimal use, no calls, no texting, no internet, just sitting idley.  I have no idea what has changed. The battery use says cell standby at 54%, display at 20 something percent  and phone idle at 20 something percent.  I haven't really downloaded any new programs or anything and I have an app killer that I use.  It's really annoying having the battery low all the time.  I could understand if I played on it all day, texting and surfing or something, but it's just "on"  and using  all that power AND the fact that it  did not have this issue when I got it a few weeks ago.

Thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Sudden drop in battery life?
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I have read that task killer is not really needed for a phone. I wonder if you get rid of that, would your battery last a bit longer like it did before?

0 Likes
BobICT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a similar problem. When I started using the phone, I had it set on Battery Saver and it was lasting most of the day. I then tried going to Smart Mode and the battery did not last long at all. Switching back to Battery Saver, the battery lasts well for the day. I put it on the charger every night.

0 Likes
rushedinlove

Do you have the power control widget? Make sure wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync, and brightness is off. Use what you need then turn it off when not in use.

I left my GPS on the other day and it died QUICK !!

Some people claim leaving the phone charging over night will affect the battery life. I see no difference. But I do tend not to charge it overnight if I can.

Verizon is now selling the extended battery pack. Check that out.

Download advance task killer. It will help save your battery life by shutting down applications.

Hope that helps :]

0 Likes
rushedinlove

That's what I heard as well and when I went to Verizon yesterday the sales representative claims that google wrote to them telling them to recommend downloading advance task killer. They downloaded for me while I was there.

It's okay .. one thing I notice that I really dislike is that the applications [text messaging, facebook. cd id, etc] will come back about 20-30 minutes even though I did not open the application. Maybe it's just my phone because my phone is buggy.

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

these batteries do no respond well to a few different things.

1.."refreshing"> fully discharging and then recharging like old school rechargables

2..Unnecessary charging> the more times you connect your charger the shorter the battery life will be.  If you have a good/decent charge, do not plug it in.  Like, don't put it on the usb charge all day at work for no reason.

3..Extreme heat and cold>Don't leave your phone in the car on a hot day and don't leave it in the car on a cold winters night. 

Any of the above will cause the battery to shorten it's life quickly and require more frequent charging.  Just like Laptop batteries..same type.

So, it is possible that you inadvertantly hurt the batteries capacities.  Also, I read some issues w/ ATK but I use Taskpanel as my task killer, i get an entire days use, constantly fiddling w/ it.

Too bad batteries arent covered under warranty.

Hope it get's sorted out.

I'm sure there's threads about how to lengthen battery life on your phone already in progress somewhere.

Dj.

0 Likes
syrcaid

I think I may have found the culprit.  I've had Advanced Task Killer on there since I got it and I had it on my old original Moto Droid and never had a problem.  But I did just recently turn on the "auto-kill" function- which kills all apps every time the screen times out.  Well, as we all know by looking at the active apps, there's random stuff running at any given time--I think some of it just starts itself up and isn't neccessarily opened by me--but I think it constantly killing and reloading all of these apps is what is causing the battery drain.  I turned off "Auto-Kill" and I'll see if it goes back to the way it use to be.

0 Likes
Mjnub1
DO NOT DOWNLOAD TASK KILLER PLS
0 Likes