Swype Keyboard Freezing... X2
kalojado
Enthusiast - Level 3

So the other issue I have had is with the Swype keyboard freezing up on my Droid X2.  It gets to where the keyboard doesnt even show up and if you press the screen there is like blue splotches where you are pressing. (sorry that is the best way I can describe it)  I ended up just switching back to the regular keyboard and it works fine, although I do notice lag when the phone is plugged in and charging, but I just unplug it if I need to text, so no big deal... but I was wondering if there was a fix for the Swype keyboard so I could use it again....

0 Likes
Re: Swype Keyboard Freezing... X2
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Have you tried Clearing Data for SPWYPE (settings / applications / running services / downloaded /  click on SWYPE & press Clear Data.)

But honestly, it sounds like an App is getting in the way. Have you tried running in SAFE MODE and testing to see if the problem persists?  Have you done a Factory Reset after GB ?  Many ppl have had great success fixing wierd issues like yours by doing so.

0 Likes
kalojado
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did do a factory reset right when I got the phone as a precaution.  I will try the clear data and see if that helps.  Thanks for the suggestions...

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

very strange ..  You didn't happen to try to UPDATE the version of SWYPE did you??  'cause you can't. The version that gets installed as part of the FR is what it is, unfortunately -- even though version 3.x has been available at SWYPE for over a year. I don't understand why Verizon/Moto won't release it to us.

0 Likes
kalojado
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nope, unless my phone did it on its own, which I doubt from how you are talking.  I am just using the version that came with the phone...

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I would definitely run in SAFE MODE and test it -- just to rule out a 3rd party APP..  Because if you did not prevent 3rd Party Apps from reinstalling after your FR (via a Setting), all your APPS were automatically brought back down onto the phone .. and maybe 1 of them is causing your issue.

Boot into Safe MODE:

- Power Off

- Press Menu Button and hold it down.

- Power up phone, continue to hold Menu button for 1-2 mins.

Phone will come up saying SAFE MODE in lower left corner -- release Menu button

TEST it ...   does it behave the same way???  If SO, then definitely something hosed after the FR.  If the issue goes away, you have a 3rd party APP likely casuing the "interference" with SWYPE.

let us know.

0 Likes
kalojado
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I will have to wait till it happens again.  I should have stated above that it will happen on and off.  So last time it happened I just switched and never checked back.  I did just look and its working fine, but next time it happens I will do what you said and let you guys know!

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Intermittent problems like this & the other thread you have regarding "Notifications go silent" are very hard to solve. Running in SAFE MODE is only 1 of the tools used to try to put the finger on a rogue APP causing your grief. So what can be done? These are the usual steps, in this order, to get you to a properly functioning phone (in My experieince - others may disagree.)

- Clear System Cache, using the Power up method to get to "System Menu"

- Just Uninstall any APPS that you installed around or shortly before you started seeing the issue.

- Factory Reset -- but Turn OFF the option to automatically restore your Apps after FR. (Settings / Privacy / Automatic restore). Also, make sure you FORMAT the SD Card before your FR.  After a FR, login & TEST for several days before downloading any 3rd Party APPS. And then only a few at a time. Oh, and if you DO go down this path, make sure you have a list of all of your 3rd Party apps before starting the FR -- the process will "forget" which free apps you have in Market.

FYI, mine (and many others) is running flawlessly at this point. At least almost; I have the auto-power-back-up issue but that's more of an annoyance due to GB and I just use Sleep mode to power down now.

Let us know if you need any direction in doing any of those steps or you can't find them using SEARCH.  Good luck.

0 Likes
jkwood

I have been just been living with this same problem.  I know when mine started - right after I updated GoogleMaps,GPS Essentials, and the shift from Market to PlayStore.  I have tried removing the updates to these and the safemode thing mentioned above without success. In the last month my X2 has developed a new issue - right after a bout of blue keyboard lock-up the screen won't wake-up (the menue keys light but screen remains dark).

I am curious to learn what has happened kalojado and if Cody21 has seen anymore issues like this..

0 Likes