System Update to 4.06.605.2 from 4.06.605.3
nebcomp

I went through the painful update to 4.06.605.3.  After reinstalling apps, everything seems to be working well.  (Except that app icons within folders are generic and won't update to the app icon.) 

I am getting a notice of a system update that would take me back to .2.  When I click on "update" (or whatever it is), the screen says "rebooting now" and nothing happens.  After a while (10 minutes), I give up and click the back button.  Nothing has changed, the .3 works fine.

These notices occur about every 3 days.  How do I stop them?  Or how do I do the update?  Should I do the update?

Thanks.  Any and all suggestions/opinions appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: System Update to 4.06.605.2 from 4.06.605.3
Jinkin02
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jinkin02 wrote:

Yesterday my camera worked fine, got an Update last night (unfortunately I don't know what the update was - I didn't look before accepting it).  Now this morning my camera won't launch.  It just goes to a black screen and the only button that works is the home key.  Sounds similar to this issue.  Trying to get 4.08 update to work now... won't load due to space?

Got it fixed... with the 4.08 update.  Seems to have fixed my camera issue, everything else looks like it works too.

Here's how I got my 4.08 update to work - from this forum thread: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/14/droid-incredible-finally-receiving-gingerbread-update-right-now...

Hope this helps!

Fazer 1 week ago

This is what I got to work to get the 4.08.605.2 update installed successfully on two different Incredibles, both stock/non-rooted, one with a lot of extra apps, and one with only two extra apps. It looks like a lot of work, but is actually very easy to complete, and NO factory reset is required:

- Move as many apps as you can to the SD card (for those having issues accessing them on the SD card, the upgrade to 4.08.605.2 cured this for me).
- Clear out as much text messaging space as you can, especially images. Alternately, you can delete them all. Messages eat a lot of processing memory on these phones.
- Hit the Clear Data (and/or Clear Cache) button on large use applications (email, Gmail, facebook, etc.) After doing this, do not access those apps until after installing the update. For some, you will have to sign in again, but no data was lost since they're synced items. (To do this step, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, select the All tab at the top, and go into each app you want to manage.)
- Press & hold the Power Button and choose Restart.
- As soon as the screen goes blank, press and hold the Power Button and the Volume Down button at the same time.
- A white menu screen will appear, it will take a second and it will perform a small self-check. Then using your Volume Down button, scroll down one spot to Recovery and press the Power button to select it. The phone will immediately show the HTC Incredible screen. 
- Then a black screen will appear showing the phone and a red triangle with exclamation point, at this point press and hold the Volume Up button and then press the Power button. Using your Volume Down button again, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to select it. This will not delete anything on the phone, just clear a stagnant memory cache.
- After this is complete, select Reboot System Now. Let the phone restart completely.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and see if the update shows. If it does, simply select Download or Reboot & Install. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data and repeat the above steps until it works. 
- If the update does not show, back out to Settings, choose Date & Time, uncheck the Automatic box, and set the date 1 year ago from today (11-xx-2010), and hit Ok.
- Return to About Phone > System Updates, it may still show "Your system is currently up to date." Back out and then go right back in to System Updates. It should be downloading the 4.08.605.2 patch update file. Reboot and Install when it prompts you. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data until it works. 
Give it time to install, on one of my phones it took only a few minutes and on the other it took closer to 10 minutes. On one phone the Droid eye appeared for only a minute and then the phone started up completely and on the other it appeared for closer to five minutes. After the install, remember to return your Date & Time to automatic. 
For any apps that aren't accessible and show up with the Droid icon, you should be able to select and remove the icon and simply add it back from your App menu. Alternately, you can re-download it from your Market.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Are you sure that it isn't trying to update to 4.08.605.2 or something like that?

There was a small update after the main Gingerbread update to fix various bug left in the Gingerbread update.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
skippybowls
I have the same problem, and it IS trying to "update" back down to the .02 version. Now if they could get rid of the "low storage" bug!
0 Likes
thingyone

Yes, it is trying to "downdate" me to 4.06.605.2!

0 Likes
txrngr34

Same problem here...except now my power button doesn't work at all.

Anyone else having power button issues?

0 Likes
Jinkin02
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yesterday my camera worked fine, got an Update last night (unfortunately I don't know what the update was - I didn't look before accepting it).  Now this morning my camera won't launch.  It just goes to a black screen and the only button that works is the home key.  Sounds similar to this issue.  Trying to get 4.08 update to work now... won't load due to space?

0 Likes
Jinkin02
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jinkin02 wrote:

Got it fixed... with the 4.08 update.  Seems to have fixed my camera issue, everything else looks like it works too.

Here's how I got my 4.08 update to work - from this forum thread: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/14/droid-incredible-finally-receiving-gingerbread-update-right-now...

Hope this helps!

Fazer 1 week ago

This is what I got to work to get the 4.08.605.2 update installed successfully on two different Incredibles, both stock/non-rooted, one with a lot of extra apps, and one with only two extra apps. It looks like a lot of work, but is actually very easy to complete, and NO factory reset is required:

- Move as many apps as you can to the SD card (for those having issues accessing them on the SD card, the upgrade to 4.08.605.2 cured this for me).
- Clear out as much text messaging space as you can, especially images. Alternately, you can delete them all. Messages eat a lot of processing memory on these phones.
- Hit the Clear Data (and/or Clear Cache) button on large use applications (email, Gmail, facebook, etc.) After doing this, do not access those apps until after installing the update. For some, you will have to sign in again, but no data was lost since they're synced items. (To do this step, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, select the All tab at the top, and go into each app you want to manage.)
- Press & hold the Power Button and choose Restart.
- As soon as the screen goes blank, press and hold the Power Button and the Volume Down button at the same time.
- A white menu screen will appear, it will take a second and it will perform a small self-check. Then using your Volume Down button, scroll down one spot to Recovery and press the Power button to select it. The phone will immediately show the HTC Incredible screen. 
- Then a black screen will appear showing the phone and a red triangle with exclamation point, at this point press and hold the Volume Up button and then press the Power button. Using your Volume Down button again, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to select it. This will not delete anything on the phone, just clear a stagnant memory cache.
- After this is complete, select Reboot System Now. Let the phone restart completely.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and see if the update shows. If it does, simply select Download or Reboot & Install. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data and repeat the above steps until it works. 
- If the update does not show, back out to Settings, choose Date & Time, uncheck the Automatic box, and set the date 1 year ago from today (11-xx-2010), and hit Ok.
- Return to About Phone > System Updates, it may still show "Your system is currently up to date." Back out and then go right back in to System Updates. It should be downloading the 4.08.605.2 patch update file. Reboot and Install when it prompts you. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data until it works. 
Give it time to install, on one of my phones it took only a few minutes and on the other it took closer to 10 minutes. On one phone the Droid eye appeared for only a minute and then the phone started up completely and on the other it appeared for closer to five minutes. After the install, remember to return your Date & Time to automatic. 
For any apps that aren't accessible and show up with the Droid icon, you should be able to select and remove the icon and simply add it back from your App menu. Alternately, you can re-download it from your Market.

0 Likes
nebcomp

Sorry.  It is NOT solved.  I still get a notice every 3 days or so wanting to "update to 4.06.604.2".  I have 4.06.604.3 working just fine (except that icons within folders on the home screens have generic icons). 

How do I get rid of this pesky notice every three days?  If I say "ok" to the update, a counter counts down to zero saying that it will reboot.  It *never* reboots and never does an "update".

Help?

Thanks,

0 Likes
nebcomp

My response may have been too quick, JinkIn02.  Were you downgrading from .3 to .2?  If so, maybe I will try your procedure.

Thanks.

0 Likes
nebcomp

My response may have been too quick, JinkIn02.  Were you downgrading from .3 to .2?  If so, maybe I will try your procedure.

Thanks.

0 Likes