Re: This is getting old
firefighterguy
Spanky,

Go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks it should have "Automatic" selected and select "Home Only."
0 Likes
spanky4350
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, but would like to also know what this option is for?

0 Likes
firefighterguy

Correction on my last post: go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/Mobile Networks/System Select

It theoretically keeps your phone from searching for different types of services.  I am not sure how to explain this but I will try.  Your phone will ping the system and the towers.  Every cell company has "their own" towers and also mooches off each other's with "rights" to it and agreements with one another.  VZW is CDMA, and I believe AT&T is too (but we all know how "reliable" they are) and Sprint I believe uses something a little different - PCS.  Some GSM is here in the States, but Europe and over seas likes the GSM and uses it almost exclusively (I believe Canada uses GSM as well).  So, Verizon doesn't charge you roaming because they have agreements with other cariers.  Even if they didn't, they own most of the towers anyway.  So while you're here in the States, you're not charged anything extra. And your phone still pings it to see what system it is on.  And if you go to Europe of over seas and your phone is global capable, it will still ping and register on the system, but now you are charged a reduculous and copious amounts of money because you're not in your "Home Network."  Home Only keeps your phone on your Home Network.  So if you go over seas, it will not ping or register on the system.  And it theroetically keeps your reception and signal more stable.  (Wildman, feel free to correct anything or add to it, or explain it better.)  And DX not really being global ready, I am not sure why they even have that as an option, really.  But I have read posts where this is supposed to help with our signal retention.  And Wildman confirmed it for me.

0 Likes
spanky4350
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for the explanation as it now makes sense. I believe AT&T uses GSM.

So even though I never go out of the country and only stay in the US, it's better to just leave it on "Home Only" as it won't waste battery by keep pining the towers? Leaving it on "Home Only" is fine if I travel out of state?

0 Likes
firefighterguy

I believe the Home Only still pings. But it sends a "specific" ping for your home network. If you go out of state you should be fine. It's like when you're home and you momentarily loose track of your kid.  And you don't know what he's up to, so you call out, "Iain!" and and he shouts back, "What, dad?" And so you don't want to come off as a complete dumb@$$ and you are wondering if he's up to no good like his Old Man was when he was a kid, so you shout back, "Where are ya"?" Iain shouts back, "I'm in the basement." So then you ask "Whatcha up to?" That sort of thing.  Or you can think of your Country as being your home. An other way to look at it is the plan you signed up for is your "Home." Most common is the Nationwide plan, or whatever VZW calls it now. But you have nationwide coverage and that is you "home." But if you go to Canada, it may not work too well. But it may in certain places because you still have a signal wash, or residual signal from the towers in the States. But that's a class on a different theorem . Lol

0 Likes
spanky4350
Contributor - Level 1

^^:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
firefighterguy
Now I am having a weird situation. Now my phone will not turn the displayvoff during phone calls! This is weird.
0 Likes
Kooshie
Contributor - Level 2

I fully understand the fustration you can have when your phone gets all wonky on you.  I know Verizon used to have a policy that if your phone was replaced 3 times in a short period of time they would allow you to replace it with a NEW device either the same or comparable.  I had the Dare shortly after it came out and several devices go wonky, starting applications on its own, like the VZNav (which wasn't even installed) without even touching the phone, like in the middle of the night while I was sleeping or while I was in the shower!  The device was replace 2xs in a matter of days with the initial device replaced a week earlier.  They swapped me out for an entirely different device, the Omnia i910, boy what a mistake that was, this thing would go about 3 months and then start getting all wonky again, like deleting ALL my pictures while I slept!  Verizon refused to replace this device because it was 3 months in between each device and their favorite thing was to tell me to do a hard reset every time.  Well after a year I couldn't stand that phone anymore and wanted to throw it out the car window and then back over it a few times!  I ended up doing an early upgrade to a BB Curve 8530 and when I had a full contract update went DX.  I have had a few issues with the device but mine have usually been due to an app and easily fixed, well once the issue was discovered.  Don't give up on the X, but do be mindful to keep of the replacement phones and the time in between.

Good Luck

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

If you are referring to the Screen Timeout setting, you can change the display settings on the Droid X as follows:

From the home screen, select the applications tab (located at the bottom of the display).

Select Settings.

Select Display

Select Screen timeout.

Select one of the following settings:

• 15 seconds
  • 30 seconds
  • 1 minute
  • 2 minutes
  • 10 minutes
  • 30 minutes
  • Never timeout 
Hope this helps, please feel free to contact us back if you need more assistance.
Thanks,
John B
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

From what I have learned a large amount of issues are usely related to a incompatible app that has been installed and I think this is why Verizon techs always suggest this as a solution. 

@Firefighterguy

Try a battery pull for a few seconds and then power back uo and see if this helps.

0 Likes