Total Crash
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

I was changing my wallpaper last night and when I selected the wallpaper I wanted, my Droid X froze. I removed the battery and waited a minute and then turned it back on and it wouldn't go past the Droid Eye. I reset it a couple of more times and the same thing....couldn't figure it out. I went to my local Verizon store and the two guys working there said the button sequence to do a master reset had changed on Android 2.3 and they didn't know how to do a master reset with the new software.....I couldn't believe it so I drove to a flagship Verizon store ( 7 miles away) and the store manager and an employee were able to access instructions, online, and do a master reset of the phone. Since then it's been working fine. The manager explained that these phone operate similarly to desktop computers and sometimes the software crashes and requires a master reset. She said she had to do that 4 times, in the last year on her Samsung Fascinate. I found that whole experience very interesting.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Total Crash
Wildman
Legend

Cody21 wrote:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Looking-for-a-Sticky-describing-the-various-Resets-a...

Cody I am glad this info is still useful but I thought I would update one thing that has changed since the GB update...  Instead of hitting the Search Button (Far Left Button) with GB you have to press Volume Up and Down to access Recovery now and the POWER button is enter instead of the camera...  Just thought I would update for futher situation..

Boot in Recovery Mode Wipe: - Wipes system configuration settings and loads default settings but keeps personal data saved on system, normally used to recover from a none boot status without loosing personal data.

Power Device Off First.....

1. Hold Home Button and press power

2. Screen will show a Android with a triangle with astrick

3. Let Go of Home Button and Power

4. Press Volume UP and DOWN

5. A blue menu will show at top of page, scroll to Factory Reset Device

6. Select Yes to verify (POWER button)

7. Allow format to complete (Information at bottom of page will go through a few steps)

8. Once Format is complete Blue Menu will show at top again, select Reboot

Note: Use volume up and down to select opinion and use Power button as Enter,,,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

what you expect from verizon store emloyees, no sale, no commission, no help.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

bearone21 wrote:

what you expect from verizon store emloyees, no sale, no commission, no help.

Unfortunately that is the case. I find it absurd that they didn't even KNOW how to do a factory reset, though.

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

call customer service next time they can walk you through what they will do at the store with the exception of flashing the device which has never come up when i have dealt with them . but resets are pretty easy to day and its a shame these employees have no motivation to work unless making a sell i have seen this first hand. if the corporate or flashship stores as you put it are the only solution cut the bleeding paychecks at the useless dealers because once that reciept prints they have no concern for you.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Hallcop what they need is what Alltel use to have an what U.S. Cellular has at its Corp. Stores Now is Deticated Employee or Accouple employees that Does nothing but repairs ,resets an has  Dam working knoledge of every phone that goes out that store or comes in for Repair.! Service

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Yea, I should've just called customer service. The 2 guys working at the first Verizon store I went to were probably in high school or college.....and they were closing in 20 minutes. They didn't even check the database to see if there were instructions on a master reset for a mostly non responsive DX with 2.3.The flagship store was open an extra hour so I drove down there and by the grace of God, the store manager waited on me. She looked up the instructions and got the job done. I have found in the past that the knowledge/customer service skills in most Verizon stores suck. Verizon customer service tends to be a lot better.

0 Likes
DroidudeAZ
Contributor - Level 2

Yea, I should've just called customer service. The 2 guys working at the first Verizon store I went to were probably in high school or college.....and they were closing in 20 minutes. They didn't even check the database to see if there were instructions on a master reset for a mostly non responsive DX with 2.3.The flagship store was open an extra hour so I drove down there and by the grace of God, the store manager waited on me. She looked up the instructions and got the job done. I have found in the past that the knowledge/customer service skills in most Verizon stores suck. Verizon customer service tends to be a lot better.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well some employees will go the extra mile to help an get you going again but then there are some that would rather give a **** But if U buy something.  Now thats different story  an not to get off topic but what they earn for what they Do its not a bad job an they have insurance. as i have had reps tell me this before. But to me every corp. store should have 1 or 2 dedicated employees that does nothing but repair an Resets for all the phones that come an go out the store.

But some will tell you thats why there is teck serv. an some of the tecks do a omens job to people out of pickle situations but then there are some that. well you know what i mean

An this is a just how do i want to call it:  have you ever went into your local corp store to pay your payment to be told you have to go

to the keyosk as were not takeing payments at the counter.  any longer as its for sells only.    :smileymad:     nice to Know They Can

take money for a Device and accesorie  Transactions but Not your payment. Next thing they have Vending Macheines with phones in

em pute your money in them take you phone home an activate it. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
DieAnne

The EXACT SAME THING happened to me last night.  I was changing wallpaper, then that was it.  That is why I'm on here now - to find the reset instructions.  I was hoping that's all it needs because otherwise my heart will be broken :smileysad:

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2
0 Likes