USB Tethering, Droid X2
toster

Can't get my X2 to tether with the USB cable.  I pay for the option to tether or use as wi-fi hot spot, but my current WinXP laptop won't see the data network when tethered; works fine as wifi.   Old XP laptop worked fine tethered.  Thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: USB Tethering, Droid X2
Cody21
Master - Level 2

The option for WiFi "hot spot" that you pay monthly for is only for that ability - over WiFi, not tethering via a USB connection. Any "tethering via USB" to use the phone as an Internet connection instead of the "PAYING for Hot Spot" method is, I believe, considered a violation of TOS, as is any discussion here about how to do it (I believe) ...  Since you're paying the monthly fee for Hot Spot WiFi, why would you not just use that?

0 Likes
mtv101

I have used my phone as a hotspot for my desktop comp. I had to tether it (In pc mode) and then turned on the hotspot to get the internet. I have Win7 on my computer and it took some doing but was able to surf using the phone. Comps with WinXp have a different way to sync with the comp. Not sure what they are but if you go into the "help" mode of your Hotspot app it has a link as to how to set it up. Using the Hotspot (and paying the additional money for the month) is the only way to use the phone as a modem for your comp. the WiFi setting on your phone only allows your phone to sync with a wireless router.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you community!

You have some great suggestions! Toster, what happens when you connect the phone to the computer? Is the phone not recognized? If the phone is not recognized, it could be an issue with the drivers. Is there a reason you are looking to tether the phone over using the hotspot? We know that the Verizon Wireless Internet connection is working since the hotspot is connecting. You are also able to use another computer to tether, which leads us to believe there is an issue with the PC.

Katie H

Verizon Wireless Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes