Unable to start Camera app. Says "Camera Busy: Camera unable to start. If this repeats please power off your phone and restart. Which I did but it didn't.
Stonetica
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tried various things...

Clear camera Data

Clear camera cache

Force stop camera

Disable camera and re-enable

Turn phone on and off

System recovery "Wipe cache partition"

Deleted Tiny Flashlight app (for which the camera flash also quit working)

Loaded Camera Zoom FX Free app but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with TAKING photos. Didn't fix problem

Deleted Camera Zoom FX Free app

Loaded Google Camera app

Deleted Google Camera app

Any ideas on what's next?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to start Camera app. Says "Camera Busy: Camera unable to start. If this repeats please power off your phone and restart. Which I did but it didn't.
Stonetica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem resolved. Not sure what did it, but here are all the things that I've changed.

Active Display is as "off" as I can get it.

Touchless Control is off

Roaming tone is off

Cloud printing is off

HP Print Service Plugin is on

Assist updated

Motorola Contextual Services updated

Don't know what the conflict was but most of what I turned off, I don't need, so it stays off to keep the camera.

Would like to hear if any of these fix the problem for others.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Unable to start Camera app. Says "Camera Busy: Camera unable to start. If this repeats please power off your phone and restart. Which I did but it didn't.
Stonetica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem resolved. Not sure what did it, but here are all the things that I've changed.

Active Display is as "off" as I can get it.

Touchless Control is off

Roaming tone is off

Cloud printing is off

HP Print Service Plugin is on

Assist updated

Motorola Contextual Services updated

Don't know what the conflict was but most of what I turned off, I don't need, so it stays off to keep the camera.

Would like to hear if any of these fix the problem for others.

0 Likes
Stonetica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Camera broken again. Well. It worked fine up until today. Tiny Flashlight updated today and the camera quit working. I've deleted Tiny Flashlight, but have not been able to get my camera back.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for keeping us posted, Stonetica. I do see you've mentioned the pattern to be Tiny Flashlight. After uninstalling Tiny Flashlight, did you go back into the Camera Application and clear cache/data and then Force Stop? Do you have any other camera-based applications on your phone that may be using the camera as well, such as Skype or Instagram for example?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
Stonetica
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the interest. All the apps that use the camera are those that came with the phone, PLUS facebook. I went through a multitude of tests and steps trying to figure it out, including clearing cache and data and force stopping camera. Even Disabling it at one point.

But here is what's weird: Last night, I did a "safe start or boot" but the camera still did not work. Then I did a Factory Data Reset (using the method that starts with holding down the volume-down button and the power button). It still did not work. So the consensus was that I needed a new or repaired phone. Today, I went to the Verizon store, he turned the phone off and on, (again!!) and, miracle of miracles, it worked. Of course, during that time, many (28) of the apps that came with the phone updated. I can tell you which ones if you care.

So I spent the afternoon putting my phone data and apps back together. I kept a list of everything I did and checked the camera frequently, often turning the phone off and on and checking the camera again. At this point the camera is working.

0 Likes
Stonetica
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK. So. This evening, 40 apps (yes, count 'em, 40) updated. All of them, except Overdrive, were apps that came loaded on my phone. And guess what - that camera is back to being "busy". So after I restored my phone data and apps, got them just the way I wanted, it lasted about 24 hours. And to think I was asleep for about 8 of those. Give me strength.

0 Likes