Unknown App Updates
JWB357
Enthusiast - Level 2

Every few days I get the Updates notification showing me that I have (3) Updates available. I do what I always do and click on the notice which opens "My Apps".

Everything shows up as perfectly fine with no updates available. If there is a legit update, I then show (4) but only (1) is real.

Very strange behavior. It must not be unique to the Droid Charge as a friend of mine with the 3G Galaxy gets the same thing only his shows (2) updates instead of (3).

Anyone run across this before and found a fix? I have cold rebooted several times but it keeps happening.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Likes
Re: Unknown App Updates
djs3322

I have been seeing the same thing.  I get the notification for 3 updates, but when I launch the app market, nothing is there.  Maybe an upgrade to ICS will fix this!:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
They said that in theory any device with gingerbread could get ice cream sandwich :smileywink:. So.....probably not the charge then! But, every other phone might have a chance.
0 Likes
Davidoo
Contributor - Level 3

Same thing here.  Every morning when I turn my phone on I get a notice for 3 updates, but when it goes to the Market page there is nothing there. 

0 Likes
sewlady
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK - hate to do this, but..... "Me, too."  I do have to say that I'm glad to see I'm not the only one getting these phantom app update notifications!  I DO wish they'd stop!

Connie in MI

0 Likes
JoeL_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks to the community for the replies.

@JWB357

It's very annoying to see several applications that need updating, when in fact they don't. Let's clear this up right away so you can get back to enjoying your applications.

Did this start after you downloaded a particular application? If so please remove and retest. Please reset the device by removing and reinserting the battery. When the device reboots choose Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>Market>Clear data.

Please let me know if this helps, otherwise we can further troubleshoot.

Thank you

0 Likes
JWB357
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks @JoeL_VZW .

I have followed your advise on clearing the data.

I don't download a ton of Apps, but I don't remember what I downloaded last. All that I do use are pretty much known apps which many people I know use or are large named companies like ESPN or The Weather Channel and of course Angry Birds.

I just don't remember the last thing I downloaded so I figured I would begin with your data clearing and see if that helps.

If I make it until Saturday I will make this as the solution. It normally shows up every 2nd or 3rd day.

I wake up and look at the phone and see those 3 Updates that never are there. :smileyhappy:

Thanks again....

Jeff

0 Likes
JWB357
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK - Here is the update. Sadly from what I can discover this is a Verizon issue caused by them assigning apps as default to the basic install.

What led me to the issue was actually the Verizon response above. I cleared my phone as suggested and rebooted. About an hour later, I saw the all too familiar update come back but THIS TIME, there were (3) apps listed. I knew this was related since they were (3) apps I never installed nor ever used.

The (3) Apps in question were VCast Media Manager, Rhapsody and TuneWiki. None of these were actually set up on my Droid. They were all in the Applications list but these were the default versions that come with the generic "Verizon" load of Android.

There was nothing to Uninstall since they were part of the core. Researching further now that I had something to look up, it appears users solved this issue by rooting their phones and using an App that "freezes" the built in "Default" loads. The issue is you have to root the phone which I chose not to do. Frankly this Samsung has for the most part been one of the only smart phones to work correctly. I have the Droid 1 and 2 along with the HTC TB and all of them suffered from serious issues. I finally recevied this phone from support when I couldn't get my FORTH HTC TB (refurbed replacements) working 100%.

Anyway, one suggestion was to install the Updates now that they appeared but installing all 3 becomes bloatware since I have no need nor intent for any of them. Just like my home PC's, I have no desire to load applications I don't use.

I'll wait and see what other responses I now receive but frankly this seems kind of rotten of Verizon to stick it to their users due to some "deal" they make with App Vendors. I had Rhapsody long ago and NEVER wish to use it again. As for Verizon Media Manager I have no need for that either. I don't use my Droid for music or photos. I have a small Nikon for photos and an iPod Touch for music for travel and use in my car.

The funny thing, is I might never have known what the issue was if not the Verizon response in this thread. It was only after I cleaned the data file that the true info behind the updates appeared.

I searched and searched and there was NOTHING that helped except for suggestions to root the phone and use the App Freeze app. As I said, no way.

So...thanks Verizon for making this so difficult.

Jeff

0 Likes
I am glad you guys figured this out, I figured it out by accident couple of days ago.
namstol

It is the bloatware, and they don't tell you which ones.  So you have to go through each app that you didn't load to find the update option for the 3.

0 Likes
Re: I am glad you guys figured this out, I figured it out by accident couple of days ago.
jdjimmy

For others reading this forum. If you happen to see an "update" notification for an app you have installed, only to find that it doesn't show as having an update available in the market, check your "Accounts". I have two gmail accounts that my phone syncs with. The market seems to account for new apps based upon (I surmise), the gmail (google) account you viewed last. The notifications, however, don't specify which account you need to reference to complete the update. 

After experiencing the issue for a few days, I changed my account in the market and voila! The updates were available and installed. I may have done something inadvertently wrong within the market, but hey, I got the updates my phone said were pending Smiley Happy.   And no, they weren't the bloatware apps.

0 Likes