Unlock My Phone At End of Contract?
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

My two-year contract is now over. I'm deciding on new phones for the wife and me, and once I do, we'll sign another contract. I'll still have my Droid Incredible 2 (DInc2).

We're thinking of giving my DInc2 to my son, but we're not going to add him to our Share Everything Plan. Instead, I'll shop for a prepaid plan from one of the MNVOs.

I realize that I can only choose a MNVO from a CDMA network - basically a VZW or Sprint reseller. But I don't know whether I can simply bring my phone to the MNVO or if I have to ask Verizon to 'unlock' my phone from their network. What do I need to do?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The Dinc2 is a Global phone, but may or may not have the proper frequencies to operate on all MVNOs.  Because it's an older device that doesn't fall under the new rules for unlocking devices, you will have to contact Verizon to unlock it (they will do it for free, but your account has to be in good standing for the past 60 [i think] days).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The Dinc2 is a Global phone, but may or may not have the proper frequencies to operate on all MVNOs.  Because it's an older device that doesn't fall under the new rules for unlocking devices, you will have to contact Verizon to unlock it (they will do it for free, but your account has to be in good standing for the past 60 [i think] days).

0 Likes
Re: Unlock My Phone At End of Contract?
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks very much for your help.

Please briefly explain: What is a 'global' phone; and what are the 'new rules for unlocking devices'?

0 Likes
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Just finished a 'chat' with Verizon Wireless. The representative said that Verizon won't unlock the phone, but I can take it to a third-party electronics store to get it done.

When I pressed her on this, she said that the phones are locked by the manufacturer and Verizon doesn't know how to unlock them. But a third-party electronics store knows.

Of course, I believe her.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Note, however, that "unlocking" refers to the GSM side of the device.

You can't do anything to "unlock" the CDMA side of the device (because it is not locked).

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Global phone means that it is compatible with other networks that are used worldwide. 

The newer devices (LTE capable) that are also global phones are required to be sold unlocked for global use.

0 Likes