Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is well aware of the issue. I went to two different Verizon stores

and both reps told me they see it on a regular basis. In fact the manager

of the second store I visited stated when they had techs in the stores

SEVERAL years ago they were still able to fix the problem with Motorola

firmware software, but it was wiped clean from the store PC¹s when they went

to no techs in the retail stores. The manager also stated some stores have

employees who have been working there a long time and know how to get access

to it and still help customers, but his store did not.

0 Likes
Re: Update killed my Droid X - Bootloader Error
herbertperform

An update to my issue, when my wife got home from work I finally had a phone to use. I called Verizon, they they are sending me a phone with no hassle. The person asked a few quick questions and that was it, no troubleshooting either. They must have obviously received a few complaints already and were aware of the issue. They were going to send it USPS which would take 5-7 days to arrive. Next day shipping was $12.99. I told the person at Verizon I needed my phone bad because it was used as a business phone and she sent it over night and waived the fee.I can't remember what the warranty time is on my Droid X, but I've had it about 9 months old. I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of solving the problem.

0 Likes
zlsinger

Got the update yesterday and my phone was immediately useless. It does not do anything beyond the unlock screen. It hasn't been rooted at all. Total nightmare! I not have a heavy, useless paperweight!

I hope someone at Verizon sees this and e-mails me, because I certainly can't call customer service or go to a store during work to try and fix it!!! Please help!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you make sure to have at least 50% battery charge before accepting the update?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jeffj1985
Enthusiast - Level 2

For me, I don't know what the battery level was when the update was forced.  Verizon did overnight night me the Droid X2 to replace it, which I like much more than the Droid X.  It is faster and it has a couple newer features.  Still, I thought it was shady that the update just pops up out of nowhere and it only gave me 15 seconds to decide if I wanted to accept it or be reminded later.  I couldn't write down anything about this update request that quickly...so that I could google it.  When I got too busy at work, the update was forced before I could catch it.  I'm okay with my replacement, and Verizon says it won't affect my upgrade in July!

0 Likes
MtPilotFunGirl

I called customer service yesterday, and the lady I spoke with was very sympathetic. Since I had already bought a new phone, she credited some $ back to my account. I'm fairly happy now, but I probably would handle things differently if I could go back to Tuesday morning when this all started.

For any of you who are going to upgrade early because of this, don't let them charge you the $20 upgrade fee. It's not your fault you're having to upgrade.

0 Likes
Jibbra

The same thing happened to my Droid X on Tuesday.  I clicked "to remind me later" and then it just went ahead and updated the software and when I tried to use it about an hour later,  NOTHING!!!!  So I called Verizon and the rep. was very helpful but couldn't do anything for me and suggested that I go to a Verizon Store to see if they could do anything more.  So, my husband and I had to drive about 40 miles to our nearest store the next morning.  When we walked in the rep. asked what was wrong I told him and he immediatley said, "it's dead".  Said he would try to "flash it", but when he went to do it, he just turned back around and said "that he feels generous today" and ordered me a replacement.  My warranty was up 16 days earlier also.  After reading all of these same type of complaints, I agree with some of the other people, this ISN'T RIGHT THAT VERIZON SEEMS TO BE FORCING PEOPLE TO UPGRADE OR PURCHASE NEW PHONES!!!!!!  In my case, I was "given" a Droid X2 but others are spending money that they shouldn't have to.  Just not right!!!!!!!

0 Likes
ricleen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got an update on my phone on the 18th and I just kept putting it off due to I was traveling and did not have a full battery.  when i got home on the 19th battery full and had time for it to do its thing I said ok. I am not very observant so do not remember the version of the update. It did its thing and I did not have a problem on my droid x.  So it is not happening to everyone.  I feel for those it has happened to.

0 Likes
zlsinger

1. I'm not sure

2. What a completely awful requirement that is. Seriously. Ridiculous.

3. When the solution is "We broke your phone, so here you go, we are going to COMPLETELY ERASE ALL OF THE DATA ON IT", that's an even WORSE "solution".

What a truly horrific phone this is.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have had system updates on my phones that clearly state in the message that the battery should be 50% full or more. Even then I plug in the phone for the update.  I have not "bricked" a phone yet when doing an update or more.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes