Re: Update to android version 2.3.4 causing issues
mtfuop

Try this, I found it through google. It was submitted by a guy named Fazer, and it works like a champ. If you are running Adavanced Task Killer Froyo, delete it...it is not compatible with the Gingerbread operating platform.

Good luck, it may take one or two trys, BUT IT WORKS!

This is what I got to work to get the 4.08.605.2 update installed successfully on two different Incredibles, both stock/non-rooted, one with a lot of extra apps, and one with only two extra apps. It looks like a lot of work, but is actually very easy to complete, and NO factory reset is required:

- Move as many apps as you can to the SD card (for those having issues accessing them on the SD card, the upgrade to 4.08.605.2 cured this for me).
- Clear out as much text messaging space as you can, especially images. Alternately, you can delete them all. Messages eat a lot of processing memory on these phones.
- Hit the Clear Data (and/or Clear Cache) button on large use applications (email, Gmail, facebook, etc.) After doing this, do not access those apps until after installing the update. For some, you will have to sign in again, but no data was lost since they're synced items. (To do this step, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications, select the All tab at the top, and go into each app you want to manage.)
- Press & hold the Power Button and choose Restart.
- As soon as the screen goes blank, press and hold the Power Button and the Volume Down button at the same time.
- A white menu screen will appear, it will take a second and it will perform a small self-check. Then using your Volume Down button, scroll down one spot to Recovery and press the Power button to select it. The phone will immediately show the HTC Incredible screen.
- Then a black screen will appear showing the phone and a red triangle with exclamation point, at this point press and hold the Volume Up button and then press the Power button. Using your Volume Down button again, scroll down to Wipe Cache Partition and press the Power button to select it. This will not delete anything on the phone, just clear a stagnant memory cache.
- After this is complete, select Reboot System Now. Let the phone restart completely.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and see if the update shows. If it does, simply select Download or Reboot & Install. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data and repeat the above steps until it works.
- If the update does not show, back out to Settings, choose Date & Time, uncheck the Automatic box, and set the date 1 year ago from today (11-xx-2010), and hit Ok.
- Return to About Phone > System Updates, it may still show "Your system is currently up to date." Back out and then go right back in to System Updates. It should be downloading the 4.08.605.2 patch update file. Reboot and Install when it prompts you. If it fails again due to "not enough memory", you need to clear more apps and data until it works.
Give it time to install, on one of my phones it took only a few minutes and on the other it took closer to 10 minutes. On one phone the Droid eye appeared for only a minute and then the phone started up completely and on the other it appeared for closer to five minutes. After the install, remember to return your Date & Time to automatic.
For any apps that aren't accessible and show up with the Droid icon, you should be able to select and remove the icon and simply add it back from your App menu. Alternately, you can re-download it from your Market.
Hope this helps!     
0 Likes
AmDroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

AdamE_VZW wrote:

MicKatarakis and other community members,

I know the update situation has been frustrating and confusing for a small number of the HTC Incredible users. I can confirm there are two updates, the 4.06 and 4.08. The phone will update to 4.06 first, if you do not have it yet. The small number of customers having the memory issue when trying to upgrade to 4.08, you will want to back up your personal information via Google or Backup Assistant, then perform a hard reset. The hard reset of the device is required to resolve this issue. Once the phone reboots and activates, the update will become available. Keep in mind, it may not be available immediately after reboot.

I hope that clears up concerns over the update!

Thank you!

After so many tries and frustration I finally came across the information below and it worked like a charm 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-droid-incredible/134246-second-gb-update-patch-wont-reboot-...

Can't say this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

1. Boot into recovery
    • Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
    • When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
  2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
  3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
  4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
  5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
  6. Select "Reboot system now"

You can now wait for the update to show up again, or try one of the methods in the post: For those who want the second GB update/patch to get the update again. It should reboot this time. Beware, it will stay at the Droid Eye screen after reboot for a while (~5 mins), but eventually, it did get installed. Be sure to make a lot of space for it though... 

0 Likes
nauticalstar

Well, I tried the part where I'm supposed to set my phone to a year ago and well, it never rebooted. The software update screen showed up, it counted down from 10 and continued to sit there with the "Cancel Installation" prompt.

So... now what? I'm almost ready to go to an iPhone because, well, this is just insane and ridiculous. No phone should ever have to go through this much crap.

0 Likes
Direneed

Ran that system update after seeing the notification. Now the phone has issues and I have repeatedly get notifications about installing another system update. I figured it was a fix for the bad update but when I try to run nothing happens. Just says it is rebooting, does the count down and then nothing. It just goes back to the home with notifications about low storage space.

Going to find out if a factory reset will take it back to the original version that worked fine.

0 Likes