Re: Updated, now won't boot
greendroid

I have the same problem - if I turn it off and then on I just get the M foreverever.  In my case removing and reinserting the battery clears the problem.  I've had to do it three times because I wanted to see if the phone would restart properly with a top button push but it doesn't, ever.  I think it would be a good idea to leave them on until Verizon puts out a fix.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Another thing I figured out is that if you are using the new option under Settings/Privacy that says "Back up my data", this feature can cause a number of issues to keep returning even after a hard reset because if your issue was a setting or a app that caused your issue, when you hard resetthe device this feature will restore all the settings and app back on device after restore that will automatically bring issue back.

This feature is a nice ideal but until you are sure that everything is compatible it may not be wise to enable this feature because it will make issues go away after hard reset but also cause issue to return shortly after because the system will restore the other files that usually caused the original issue.

0 Likes
realged13

I can't even get the restore page to open.  I hold down the home button and pressed the power button and also pressed home and held down the power button to no avail.  Has verizon or motorola actually came out to say how to fix it exactly?

0 Likes
BubbaGman

take out the battery, then replace the battery.  THEN hold down the home key while next depressing the Power key.  The phone has to be off to get that sequence to work

0 Likes
BubbaGman

Okay my phone is NOW working after the umpteenth battery cycle.  Not gonna touch it until someone can tell us what is causing the power cycle issues and how to remedy.  Wonder if there is a way to force reinstall?

0 Likes
clbiggs

I went to the local VZW store because it still wouldn't work after the factory reset. I then spent an hour and a half waiting so that they could spend 10 minutes looking at my phone and tell me there's nothing they can do.

The Droid X is still back ordered, so they have to mail a new phone to my house.

Very frustrating when it's your only phone. Somebody needs to review their QA process.

0 Likes
BubbaGman

ah...here's something to note... I did a battery cycle (remove battery and replace) then hit the power on key and went away for 45 minutes.  THEN when I returned it was , of course, stuck on MotoLogo so I then did another battery cycle and VOILA! it worked.  Perhaps the key is to do a battery cycle only after a loooooong delay on MotoLogo. 

Someone else may like to try a 20minute delay and see if that results in a successful boot when otherwise battery cycle did not result in successful boot.  If someone else tries 10minute and 15 minute cases maybe we can narrow down the necessary time before a battery cycle causes good reboot.

Just a thought, I've been a software InGAHneer too long :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
PiperCrab
Contributor - Level 1

Curious; are you guys using "regular" Xs or "rooted" ones? I knew it was a good idea to wait. Now I'll wait some more.

0 Likes
BubbaGman

I'm on non-rooted so far...thought that would be an advanced thing to do once 2.2 came out and 'stablilized'... seems we have a way to go.

0 Likes
GShelton

Mine is non-rooted as well.

So after I left it on the "M" screen for 8 hours while I slept. I still could not get it to boot, nor could I get to the recovery mode.

I just went to the local Verizon store where the sales guy messed with it, took it to the tech who messed with it. After a while they came out and told me they were ordering me a new phone. :smileysad:

So there is something major wrong here. I am really afraid to try and upgrade my wife's X now.

0 Likes