Re: Updated, now won't boot
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

GHuestis wrote:

Hey Bro.,

Thanks for the instruction. I am down loading the file to go back to 2.1 now. Hopefully it will work without a problem then I can get the OTA update again and get it to install correctly. I'm not sure if that is the problem. Not sure if it didn't install correctly to begin with??? I get that M like others and sounds like they installed there's correctly??

What do you think?

Thanks so much for your help,

GHuestis

YES.  I think you'll be fine doing the rollback.  the biggest issue i had was getting RSDLITE to recognize my phone in win7.  Word of advice.  Once the rollback starts do not touch anything on the phone.  Regardless what rsd says.  The phone will cycle and reboot AND it 100% will get stuck on a constant rebooting cycle until you do a "factory reset" 

Also,, make sure you have a full battery.

good luck!!

Dj.

0 Likes
GShelton

Well, at this point I am 99.9% sure I did a factory reset. Using my wife's phone and photos from the internet, I did all of the button pushing that should have formatted it. Then I rebooted it (using the recovery menu) and STILL THE DARN M SCREEN!!!!

This is really upsetting me at this point. :smileymad:

0 Likes
GHuestis

Thanks so much DJ.

I will try this in the am. Its a bit late. I'm just not restarting my phone for the next day or so. It is working at the moment and I don't want to screw that up. I need it for my job big time.

GHuestis

0 Likes
btphelps85

Well I got bricked earlier and went to the Verizon store and they guaranteed me a new phone by tomorrow morning and they will set the update up for me. Maybe you all can get replaced phones too. But I never got anything to work from me after resets or factory wipes.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Heres a hint that I noticed when I was resetting mine, when I booted back into unit and got the "M" hold state, I allowed it to sit ther for about 15 minutes waiting for it to complete before I decided to try to use the power button and see if I could power it off and I got a vibration like the menu does when it opens the power down menu (It seemed to be there but covered by M page), at this point I pulled the battery and placed it back in and it booted and then I instantly when to the menu and did a system hard reset and all has been normal after doing this.

0 Likes
Soxfan894

Pulling the battery for 5+ minutes works all the time. This problem started with me about 3 weeks after getting the phone. Did a factory reset and even a clean OS install. It would work for a few days and go right back to the "M" logo. I installed the OTA 2.2 last night and was optimistic that the problem would have been fixed/

Guess I was wrong because after it installed I checked, before installing any applications. Same issue was accruing, went into the recovery, did a data cache wipe and factory reset, both did not work.

After waiting the 5+minutes with the battery out of the phone plugged it in and it started up fine.

The only thing I can think of is...I have the first release(day of launch 7/15) of the DX and many friends have older releases some 3 weeks, other 1-2 months. Perhaps I got a broken one.....I do not think its a app problem at least for my phone.

I rather not go to a Verizon Store the make you wait way to long to tell you that there is nothing they can do for you and will order a new phone(taken 5-7 business days to arrive). Most of the techs are not Motorola certified and do the same things we have been doing all this time.

0 Likes
Scotslad007

OK, follow-up with my phone.  This morning I fluked getting it to load past the logo.  But when I went to reboot it was right back to the logo.  Called support and they attempted to do the steps I had tried before but we could not get past the logo to reset.  They are now going to Fedex me a new phone tomorrow.

I've tried taking the battery out and letting it sit for 5, 10, 15 mins and still being stuck on the logo and then 1 min and getting past.  As I said before I have already wiped the cache and formatted so I can't keep doing that each reboot.

0 Likes
GShelton

Well, now I am really disappointed. I am amazed how they could overnight me a phone when they wanted to lock me into a new 2yr contract, yet can not do it for a replacement. I have no idea where my replacement phone is. If it does not arrive tomorrow, I guess I will be visiting the local verizon store to make a little noise.

Honestly, it would not matter if this was a typical phone, but I run my entire life through this darn thing. Plus now that I am running on my old phone, I am only getting 50% performance. (My old phone is kind of junk.)

I left my droid with no battery in it for over 8 hrs. No boot. I have literally tried to boot it HUNDREDS of times. Sad, Sad, Sad!

0 Likes
zombegon

I've been having the same problems. I did the battery pulls. I did the SD card pulls. I even did a factory reset. So then I took it to my local verizon store. I explained my problem, told them what I had tried to rectify it. They performed their own battery pulls, their own SD card pulls and even their own factory reset. A second battery pull AFTER the second factory reset the phone finally fully booted. Later that day I turned my phone off to see if it would boot properly after turning back on. I did not. i contacted technical support and they said a phone would be shipped out to me by middle of next week and that they have had no complaints about this particualr problem.

However, i am concerned that I will be charged a restocking fee for the new phone. I have the TEC insurance plan and am at no fault for the defects experienced by my phone. I don't think i should be charged for this service. I've already payed good money for my phone, which does not work, why should i pay more for one that does?

0 Likes
GShelton

Verizon said nothing to me about having to pay. I don't think I would worry. If I hear anything I will let you know.

0 Likes