Re: Updated, now won't boot
zombegon

Just got this email regarding the restocking fee...

Mr. Hepler, please be assured, you will not be subject to a restocking fee for exchange your device due to a manufacturer's defect. Since you are within your Worry Free Guarantee 30-day timeframe, we will replace your device with a new Motorola Droid X. The only time you will incur the restocking fee is in the event you exchange your device for another make/model or different color device, as these devices cannot be resold as new.

After your 30 days, please remember, your manufacturer's warranty provides an equipment replacement option for up to one year from the date of purchase. Verizon Wireless will provide you with a certified like-new wireless device identical to the one you have in exchange for returning the qualifying defective device. This exchange does not cover physical or liquid damage, installed handsets, batteries, accessories, or antennas.

Certified like-new wireless devices pass over a 100-point quality check before they can be offered as replacements. Since these devices have the latest software version, they often perform better than the device currently being used.

Additionally, a review of your account indicates we have placed an order for another device.

So that works out then.

0 Likes
GShelton

"certified like-new wireless device"

It had better be perfect too. My phone looks BRAND NEW. The original plastic protection came off, the invisisheild went on. It was then installed in a protective case.

My phone was supposed to be here today. The driver left a note on the door, but I did not know he was here. I have to go pick it up at 6:15 at FedEx.

0 Likes
manapolitan

I want to share another possible workaround to get the phone past the stuck logo, but I'm not entirely sure what I did.

I tried everything mentioned in this thread and nothing worked for me, so I'm waiting on my replacement phone, like others.  But in the mean time, I stumbled on a way to get my phone up and running yesterday, and thought I'd try to reproduce it so I could post something that worked for sure.  But instead, I ended up having the logo stuck back on all day yesterday with every attempt.  So I tried one more thing this morning and it's going, so without reseting my phone ever again, I thought it might be worth sharing what I think I did this time.

1. After pulling the battery, leave the phone off for 20 minutes, without a power cable.

2. Plug in the wall charger.  If you do not see the battery charging icon after the logo, go back to step 1.

3. Leave the phone off, but plugged in, for another 20 minutes.

4. Turn on the phone.

I'm not sure of the 20 minutes, but I know that there were multiple occasions where I didn't wait and things didn't work.  I'd be happy to troubleshoot this more when my replacement phone arrives.  For all I know, maybe I was just lucky with the umpteenth reboot like others.  My phone also has the issue where I couldn't bring up the boot menu, or at least see it, and I never did a factory reset.

0 Likes
GShelton

I actually tried the above and had no luck getting it to go. :smileysad:

BUT... My new phone is here and it is pristine condition wise and working fine. It did however arrive with 2.1 on it and I am not willing to update it at this time.

0 Likes
dakota_96

DO NOT APPLY 2.2! Received my replacement DX today after the first one got stuck at the M logo after applying the 2.2 update. Applied the 2.2 on the new device and stuck on M logo again. Can't believe Motorola and Verizon allowed this update to be released. It is seriously flawed and should be pulled until it is fixed!!!

0 Likes
manapolitan

dakota_96 wrote:

DO NOT APPLY 2.2! Received my replacement DX today after the first one got stuck at the M logo after applying the 2.2 update. Applied the 2.2 on the new device and stuck on M logo again. Can't believe Motorola and Verizon allowed this update to be released. It is seriously flawed and should be pulled until it is fixed!!!

Wow!  I'll definitely have to heed your warning.  Thanks.

I would be interested in knowing if you installed any applications before the update.  But like you said, it's unbelievable that this update could be released, so I won't be taking another chance on it anyway.

0 Likes
dakota_96

Got it fresh from the carton, nothing done to it, went straight to update and updated fine. Synced Exchange email, Google account, and facebook. Shut off DX after that and stuck on M logo. Therefore, I did nothing to it that a normal DX can handle. Since then various combinations of battery removal, reboots, have been able to let me boot. Nothing consistent though. If you do upgrade, and you booted fine, just don't turn it off. Very poor QA by Motorola!!!! Thankfully I have my old HTC Incredible, otherwise my business and life would be in shambles!!

0 Likes
MasseyX

This is miserable after days of not having a phone I just found they are sending me a device that was already "activated and returned." Now my "new" Droid X will be someone else's Lemon. All thanks to a software update.

0 Likes
dakota_96
Update on the stuck M upon reboot issue. Read in another forum about putting it in a freezer for a few minutes as this might be a temperature issue. Sounds far fetched, but I tried it and it booted up fine. Is thus a temperature problem? My have been luck and coincidence that it worked, but I was desperate and willing to try anything. I'll try it later today to see if it reproducible.
0 Likes
GShelton

The phones they send out are tested to be sure they are "Like New." I was worried too, but this phone looks NEW. The screen was so clean I did not have to do anything before putting my new invisisheild on it.

So I also wanted to update this post.

My new phone arrived with 2.1 on it. I had no intention of updating it again until a fixed version was released. When I woke up this morning and removed my phone from the charger, it was on the M screen. Nooooooooooooo! I did not update it! It would not boot. I popped the battery out and back in (3 seconds.) It booted and guess what... 2.2. I did not do it. How did I get a push to this junk?

Anyway, I am too afraid to reboot it to see if it boots. I need my phone this week. I will try it when I have a chance to get it exchanged again.

0 Likes