Upload/Download Speeds when wirelessly tether Nexus 7 to my HTC Incredible
opinionated1945

Hi All,

I just purchased a Google Nexus 7 tablet. I tethered it to my HTC Incredible and went to a basketball game. My daughter was sitting beside me with her Apple i-Pad.  Her Apple browser (Safari?) loaded internet webpages almost instantly.  My tethered Nexus was EXTREMELY slow in comparison. The speed difference a bit embarassing because her family arevApple-devotees and I'm still an old Windows 7 'Geezer'.

So now I'm at home using a 'Speedtest.net' app to compare UL/DL speeds when my Nexus is connected to my Vios home cable router vs. HTC tethered to my cell phone.

Speed Results:

Nexus 7 connected to Vios cable:                       UL 1227 kbps and DL 6155 kbps

Nexus 7 wirelessly tethered to HTC Incredible:  UL 614 kbps and DL 969 kbps

Question for anyone: Why is that doggone Apple i-Pad able to wirelessly produce such vastly superior download speeds compared to my Nexus 7 to HTC wireless tether set up?  Do I have to switch to Apple...?!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! 

0 Likes
Re: Upload/Download Speeds when wirelessly tether Nexus 7 to my HTC Incredible
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Was the iPad also tethered to your phone?  Or was it connected directly to the wireless carrier?  Their iPad might have be a model that could connect to the LTE network.  The original DROID Incredible is a CDMA 3G only smartphone.  The speed for 3G is capped about ~1500 kbps on a perfect connection.  A connection speed of 969 kbps is fairly fast for such a connection.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
opinionated1945

Thank you for your reply, Ann.

The i-PAd was not tethered to my phone. According to her husband she has (3G?) WiFi capability built-in to a direct connection to her carrier (AT&T).

Am I correct in assuming that if I upgraded my smartphone to something newer I could keep up with her i-Pad? If so could you offer me a suggestion as to what one to get?

Thanks again...jc

>

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

A 4G LTE smarthphone would provide a faster connection if you are in an area with the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
opinionated1945

OK. Thanks again for your help, Ann.

>

0 Likes