Using my new Droid
lauriegaines

I know this is a **bleep** question but I CANNOT type a simple e-mail....on the slide out keyboard, every time I try to type an "L" the phone jumps to the calendar....when I type a "b" it jumps to something else....when I type a "g" it jumps to Google or something like that.  How do you just type a simple text message without all this jumping around?  I will NEVER figure this phone out if I can't do something basic like  sending a text message!  By the way, this happens onthe slide out keyboard...can't even FIND the other keyboard.  I need help!

0 Likes
Re: Using my new Droid
MPhotox2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Make sure the cursor is flashing in box before you start typing maybe? I have never heard of this problem. You can bring up the software keyboard by sliding the phone closed, then touch the box where you would be inputting your message.

0 Likes
Joe_Evaristo
Contributor - Level 1

You probably activated the "search" key on the keyboard, the one that shows as an magnifying glass picture--it's on the bottom left of the keyboard, 3rd key over. Try bumping that a little to see if it's stuck down. Others have had this issue: https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/213430

You also mentioned not knowing how to get into the on-screen keyboard. When you're go to send a text message (or e-mail, or any place else you can type), touch the text input field. If the keyboard doesn't come up, touch it twice.

For a better virtual keyboard experience, long-press on the text input box, and select input type, then choose SWYPE. This allows you to type without moving your fingers off the  virtual keyboard until you've finished a word, which improves accuracy on the touch screen.

0 Likes
wwwmike

I was having this problem today. Some text worked normally but some letters and numbers would open calendar. I am using a Droid 2 with the latest update. Just checked.  I think I found the solution. Not sure why the problem happens but someone suggested clearing the cache. Here is how I do that on my phone. Should be similar on yours. I opened the browser, hit "menu", hit "More", hit "settings", scrolled down to "clear all", and hit "ok".  You might be able to use the "clear cache" instead but I was happy to clear cookies, history, and saved passwords also. Hope this works for you. I am happy to have it fixed on my phone.

0 Likes