Re: Verizon Remote Diagnostics Tool
Wildman
Legend

I see your point but I am guessing that the application will be similar to other remote apps that will require a acceptance response before the connection is complete, also I am sure their is probably a security handshake from the network required to verify a secure connection.

I understand anything can be compromised but on the same note their is a number of apps that users have on their device that already has access to the information that you are concerned with and these items haven't been compromised so can see the developer accessing this info without risking a security risk.

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

With the excellent app and firmware support in the past, making a blanket app that goes on all phones, which I'm sure was fully tested on every build of every phone, it's  every bit as safe as their previous firmware updates . . . What could possibly go wrong?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I am sure that security is a factor being considered before they release this software throughout the networks devices, at this point they appear to testing the software on a small group of device and adding the software after all testing has been completed..  The carrier do not want to chance compromising customer data or chance a network vulnerability, not only the customers can be affected.

Since they are testing on devices to verify compatibility and security I really do not see adding this software should affect the users because all interaction will be in the background and the user will only have to interact once the software is required to be used.

Now to flip the coin, there is always a risk of issues from 3rd party apps because some Android developers do not work inside the box when they create and integrate new features into their software that sometimes causes issues...  (Example) Some users couldn't install firmware updates because of 3rd party apps changing a data file in a way that made it not able to verify the device or OS...  The point is, in the electronic world of software nothing is guaranteed.

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

My point is that creating a blanket program that is required on there should be something that a) is very safe and introduces no new security holes (which is not the case here) or b) is something that everyone uses.  Since this is going to potentially leave a security hole (hackers are usually two steps ahead of any security firms/applications) and only a small number of people are going to use it, I think forcing it on people is a very bad idea. 

My point is that I've seen very little proof that Verizon puts any real resources into developing "useful" software.  Most of them are half assed or bandaids and, given their history, I don't trust their application to be secure.  And I certainly don't expect for it to work on every phone without more "updates." 

From what I've seen (and read from people), the less Verizon does, the better.  Let Samsung (and any other company) push updates to phones without Verizon bundling/getting in the way, stop forcing apps on people, just provide a damn phone service and get out of the way. 

This is same crap that happened to windows when laptop (and desktop) manufacturers like HP and Toshiba significantly slowed the sleep of computers and PC's took a hit to macs because, essentially, those companies were ruining the windows experience.  Verizon (and probably other companies) are doing the same thing for Android.  Just let Android be Android.  It's what people paid for.  Get out of the way. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I mean no disrespect because you have a number of very valid points and I do not disagree with some of them but if you consider one thing, the issue with the devices has been software related but none of the issue generated any security problems so basically it seems that this is one part that they are good at covering to protect the customer.... 

This software will most likely be integrated deep into the device that hackers should not be able to access on a stock device but users that decided to modify there device that will give the rights required to access this application and data really wont need this application to have the device data access, the device will be already compromised.  Basically the far of this software is another BigBrother fear.

If I understand the software, most of the information is accessed already by developers to troubleshot software incompatibilities, if this has been in play all this time without issue I can see them adding a application for Verizon tech support without any new security rights being modified.

I agree about the unwanted software but since this is a source of revenue I do not see a method to remove the software and still keep the revenue without charging the customer more for services of raise device prices, which I do not see this going over any better.

Basically this is no win situation because users do not like change and when things are changed there has to be something wrong or suspicious going on.  BigBrother fear..

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

You make a good point about the device already being compromised if they dig real deep (I don't know too much about the specifics of permissions that run that deep but what you say makes sense). 

Truth is, you're probably right, it probably affects nothing.  But I definitely disagree with the amount of stuff that Verizon forces on their customers and this is one thing that just plain looks bad.  And unnecessary.  But who knows, maybe it will be a helpful tool for some people.  I just hope it's helpful enough that justifies the backlash against them for it (though in reality, most people won't notice). 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I agree, that was one of the points I mad when I posted about this when the information first came to light...  https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/770317

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Heh, any chance this is a backwards way of finding out who r**ted their phones so they can refuse to support those people?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Honestly, this is a possibility but actually what a number of users dont know, a carrier can identify a device that has been modified like that with a network software upgrade...  This has been addressed in a number of custom forums and developer sites.

At one point some of the streaming sites would block users devices from accessing their site if they detected this modification done to the users device.   Anything is possible with the technology error we are in.

0 Likes