Verizon WiFi Auto-On and ICS 4.04
od3422

The Verizon App "Verizon WiFi Auto-On" has stopped working since updating to ICS 4.0.4.  The Pop Up Message "This application is only for Verizon Wireless Subscribers." appears and shuts down.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app (from the Play Store). and still no go.  This was a good app for manging WiFi and I'd hate to lose it.  Is there a known solution for this problem?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon WiFi Auto-On and ICS 4.04
Hawkeye77

I have the same problem and tried the same things. The problem occurred after the update to ICS on my Bionic.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times.  I have checked all my verizon apps on my phone and they all recognize me with no problem, just the Wifi auto-on. Any ideas on a fix?  I get the app from the Play Store, but cannot find it in the Verizon store!  Thanks!

0 Likes
od3422

Thanks for replying.  Looks like this problem has been around for a while with other phones, not just Motorolas  that upgraded to ICS.  We'll probably have to write this app off.  We can do a little (very little) wifi managment with Smart Actions, because Smart Actions really aren't that smart.....  I'm afraid that we'll be limited to trying different wifi managment apps until we find one that meets out needs.  I've tried a couple of the free apps and haven't been impressed.  Gonna have to do some research  on the fee based apps to see if there are any reviews on their functionality.  Maybe there's an app that manages both wifi and blue tooth  while not consuming gobs of battery. 

0 Likes
od3422

Some good news.  I found another free app at the Play Store that seems to be functionally similar to Verizon Wifi Auto-on.  The app is Wifi Auto On by MVs.  It allows you to specify which WiFi access points to connect to, specify how long to wait before turning wifi off when signal is lost and how often (based on time) to look for your defined wifi access points.  It's not elegant but seems to work.  I'll let you know if I find any significant gotchas.

0 Likes
Hawkeye77

Thanks for the update.  I looked at a couple apps, but they seemed to come on after a certain time interval vs. being in the vicinity of the wifi.  I will check out the one you pointed out.  Thanks again! 

I will say it seems my Bionic is running slower with ICS. I was expecting a speed boost.  Many apps time out, but if I choose to wait they open shortly afterward. 

0 Likes
od3422

I think you'll find the wifi app acceptable.  It samples the wifi state periodically and can also be configured to use the calendar/clock stupidity.

Relative to your Bionic performance.  Bet your phone is hot to the touch and the battery doesn't last as long as it did before ICS.  I think ICS out of the box comes with a boat load of stuff turned on and configured to start up at boot that you don't want or need.  Briefly, my battery life and Bionic responsiveness improved when I adjusted some system options and disabled a lot of junk that I don't need for my usage profile.  I'm a basic user, no text, no tweet, don't have to be on facebook, don't have to watch videos.  The phone is a tool for me so my usage profile is phone, e-mail, web access and the adjustments that I made are for that profile.  Obviously, your adjustments will depend on  your usage profile.

System Settings adjustments that I made that improved battery life are:

Turned off ALL wireless network settings... let an app do it instead...wireless sucks a lot of battery.

Set the Display/Brightness to AUTO.

Adjusted Account & Sync to only sync e-mail only.  Turn off the stuff you don't need.

ICS automaticaaly starts a lot of apps you probably don't need. Disable apps you don't need.   ICS lets you disbable apps without uninstalling them, even some VZ and Google apps. Be careful and test it with an app that you know doesnt' work....like Verizon WiFi Auto-on.  I've disabled 21 apps that came with ICS and my phone performance improved noticeably.

Random thought on apps timing out.  I suggest that you turn your phone off once every 24 hours and see if the problem goes away.  I suggest that you contact VZ tech support on this issue.  Could be a known problem.

0 Likes