Re: What a rip off.....
spotlight00

Why would anyone want a smart phone without the data plan anyway?  Pointless!  Additionally, I pay for unlimited data with Verizon as a separate package (big deal, it's all the same bill anyway) and pay $20 LESS a month than Sprints "all inclusive" package.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I saw a brilliant analogy for this on another forum:

A smartphone without a data plan is as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle.

0 Likes
palmuser4

Wrong.  The problem with today's dumb phones is they are not as useful as an old Palm.  That Palm would allow you to put addresses into the contact list, as well as birthday and anniversary reminders....not today's dumb phone.  The calendar in the Palm was a very useful date book....much better than any of today's dumb phones.  I could read and edit MS Word and Excel files that I offloaded from my PC....no way you can do that with a dumb phone today.  You need a smartphone for those basic functions, but you sure don't need a data plan as well, and with the proliferation of free WiFi hot spots, you can do a lot more without a data plan.  Most of people I know with a smartphone are paying $30/month for instant gratification.  I can't rationalize it, so I carry around my old Palm and a dumb phone. 

0 Likes
palmuser4

One more valid point.  My daughter has an iPod that she finds extremely useful.  Why isn't an iPod as useless as an ashtray on a motorcycle without a force fed data plan?  Did Apple not think this through, or is Verizon just arrogant?

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

you're replying to a thread that's over 2 years old.  i hate when that happens.

0 Likes
palmuser4

It's still a valid issue, only now Verizon is turning up the wick on heavy users of the smartphone.  Instant gratification is going to cost more than $30/month.

0 Likes