Re: Who IS happy with 2.2?
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

vglass wrote:

y0diggity wrote:

I'm happy with the update. My phone has none of the described problems. Battery life isn't any worse than it was before the update. The items seen in task killer are a non-issue, I don't even use a TK. Never have, never will. Although many here seem to believe that they know more than those who created the OS, I'm not in that category. I will assume that they they do - in fact - know a little more than I do about their product than I do, until I'm able to build my own OS and have it loaded exclusively on a massive line of flagship handsets. For now, I'll go with their advice.

Anyhoooo... As I said, no issues with the Froyo update.

I certainly do not pretend to know more about the OS than the developers, I'm not sure how that even is applicable.  If your phone is acting up or not working than someone telling you are wrong does not make it so.  As far as task killer goes, I do not know if all the apps now showing on task killer are impacting battery life or not.  But I do know that my phone jumps from screen to screen without being touched, it does jump around from folder to folder in e-mail, it is noticeably slower on the internet, etc... than before, and the battery is definitely draining quicker and charging slower.  Obviously there are issues out there, the title of this overall site is Droid Incredible not issues with update, yet there is almost nothing else being posted.  I have never posted on this site ever, the only reason I came here was because of the issues I have been having.  Whether it's the majority or minority, it is very clear there are significant issues.  It took about a week after the "upgrade" before my phone starting acting up, so I strongly suspect that once all Incredible users have "upgraded" and have had it running for a week or so these post will grow significantly. 

First of all, I don't recall accusing you of being one of those folks who presume to know more than the dev's. In fact, I don't recall even considering your previous post at all in the above-quoted reply. But thanks for taking a ride on the way-to-sensitive bus.
Second of all, I've been doing this whole mobile-y gadget-y thing for a very very long time and without fail, when an update comes, the forums for that product will invariably be filled with people who are having problems with said update. If you look back through the Android forums here and on any of the other boards that pertain to Android devices and search posts during the time period directly after an update, you will hear the exact same things. As King Solomon said - there is nothing new under the sun. I truly wish you weren't having the issues you are having, and it's a bad deal, but the title of the thread is "Who IS happy with 2.2?" I am. I'm perfectly happy with it. I love it, in fact. I'm glad I upgraded early via the manual update so I didn't have to wait. And you know what? If I DID have problems with it, I'd spend more time researching the problem and trying various solutions to make it better and I'd spend less time complaining on the forums in every single new post that comes up about it, as if no one read your same post a hundred times already throughout the forums. And if I were new to the forums, I wouldnt start off my experience there with an angry threatening flame of the phone, the company and everything that has to do with it. Sometimes we have to do things ourselves and have to stop relying on the company that sold the item to give us a solution. And sometimes those solutions have to be drastic, but they'll work and they'll make it better.
Not saying that this applies to you, but I'm just throwing it out there for ya.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
I agree. Updated manual also and have had nothing but good to say. My friends got the OTA and nothing but good to say.
I have an issue and spend hours trying to fix it myself.,I ask for help, figure it out using those 2 methods and solve the problem. It's almost fun. Especially when I figure it out myself. Lol.
This phone is great and I'm actually growing brand loyalty for HTC. I've heard tons more serious issues by other leading manufacturers.
I'm glad I have HTC and Froyo!
0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I would probably love 2.2 IF i could receive it on my phone

0 Likes
falcom

Not happy at all. my battery now dies by around 12PM-1PM every day without making a single phone call, or browsing the web. with 2.1 it lasted until 7 or 8PM easily with heavy use, push email, widgets, and all the goodies turned on.

0 Likes
tsklin

No, not happy at all. 

Slight performance improvement for a phone that depletes battery at an unacceptable rate.  I do not have task killer installed, did a factory reboot, and there are unwanted apps running in the background constantly.

0 Likes
sparkyguy

i swear, I really am one of the lucky ones this time (I got totally screwed updating the OS on my second generation iPod Touch, but that's another story).  I was apparently one of the first to get the OTA update.  After installation and fixing one small glitch (it changed the sync settings on my Gmail accounts), it has worked like a charm from the start.  Loving Voice Actions.  Maybe it's my imagination, but the battery seems to last longer. 

Happy as can be with my D-Inc.

0 Likes
Kernal7

love 2.2. I have 6 widgets refreshing every half hour, 1 every hour, and 5 other screens full up of other widgets that dont need internet. Voice stuff is good, havent had an issue with it yet. Apps all working nothing getting killed that doesnt need to be. 3g is on at all times, i undock my phone from ~715 to ~930pm, always on facebook, always texting, several bluetooth file transfers, a couple emails here and there, a couple evernote uploads and battery hits 30% at around 7pm.  Internet is never sluggish, using stock browser, non-mobile sites load quickly and smoothly, mobile sites even quicker, scrolling long webpages is a little stop and go sometimes, but isnt an issue as this only happens on non mobile sites. Couldnt ask for a better phone. Did the manual ota little over a week ago, no issues with that either.

0 Likes
regulus49

have to say that Im pretty happy with the update!! I just got the extended battery,this phone is gonna rock.Salesperson at the store told me to get the app killer and folder app??? app killer doesnt seem to work really,apps restart on their own?? weird! Im loving this phone,sorry to the folks who are disappointed.

0 Likes
vglass

y0diggity wrote:

vglass wrote:

y0diggity wrote:

I'm happy with the update. My phone has none of the described problems. Battery life isn't any worse than it was before the update. The items seen in task killer are a non-issue, I don't even use a TK. Never have, never will. Although many here seem to believe that they know more than those who created the OS, I'm not in that category. I will assume that they they do - in fact - know a little more than I do about their product than I do, until I'm able to build my own OS and have it loaded exclusively on a massive line of flagship handsets. For now, I'll go with their advice.

Anyhoooo... As I said, no issues with the Froyo update.

I certainly do not pretend to know more about the OS than the developers, I'm not sure how that even is applicable.  If your phone is acting up or not working than someone telling you are wrong does not make it so.  As far as task killer goes, I do not know if all the apps now showing on task killer are impacting battery life or not.  But I do know that my phone jumps from screen to screen without being touched, it does jump around from folder to folder in e-mail, it is noticeably slower on the internet, etc... than before, and the battery is definitely draining quicker and charging slower.  Obviously there are issues out there, the title of this overall site is Droid Incredible not issues with update, yet there is almost nothing else being posted.  I have never posted on this site ever, the only reason I came here was because of the issues I have been having.  Whether it's the majority or minority, it is very clear there are significant issues.  It took about a week after the "upgrade" before my phone starting acting up, so I strongly suspect that once all Incredible users have "upgraded" and have had it running for a week or so these post will grow significantly. 

First of all, I don't recall accusing you of being one of those folks who presume to know more than the dev's. In fact, I don't recall even considering your previous post at all in the above-quoted reply. But thanks for taking a ride on the way-to-sensitive bus.
Second of all, I've been doing this whole mobile-y gadget-y thing for a very very long time and without fail, when an update comes, the forums for that product will invariably be filled with people who are having problems with said update. If you look back through the Android forums here and on any of the other boards that pertain to Android devices and search posts during the time period directly after an update, you will hear the exact same things. As King Solomon said - there is nothing new under the sun. I truly wish you weren't having the issues you are having, and it's a bad deal, but the title of the thread is "Who IS happy with 2.2?" I am. I'm perfectly happy with it. I love it, in fact. I'm glad I upgraded early via the manual update so I didn't have to wait. And you know what? If I DID have problems with it, I'd spend more time researching the problem and trying various solutions to make it better and I'd spend less time complaining on the forums in every single new post that comes up about it, as if no one read your same post a hundred times already throughout the forums. And if I were new to the forums, I wouldnt start off my experience there with an angry threatening flame of the phone, the company and everything that has to do with it. Sometimes we have to do things ourselves and have to stop relying on the company that sold the item to give us a solution. And sometimes those solutions have to be drastic, but they'll work and they'll make it better.
Not saying that this applies to you, but I'm just throwing it out there for ya.

0 Likes
MKInc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I was anxiously awaiting the 2.2 upgrade, but now that I have it, I don't like what Verizon has done to it.

I did a factory reset and cleared memory on the phone and sd card before the install.

After the 2.2 update, I now have a lot of applications that I don't want that insist on starting themselves up on boot, and even if I go to app manager and force close them, they restart again.

Amazon MP3  - I don't have an account, why am I forced to run the app?

Backup Assistant - okay, I can live with this, but it isn't really necessary since I have all of my google contacts up to date and that sync is working just fine. Backup Assistant is redundant, and doesn't add any additional functionality.

CityID - worthless, who cares what the city is of the caller, 95 percent of the people that call me are in my contacts, and I would rather have their picture ID than the city they are calling from.  I am NOT paying $1.95 per MONTH for this worthless stuff, but let me DISABLE it, don't force non functioning software on my phone.

Facebook for HTC Sense - I didn't enter my facebook credentials, why does this app auto launch?

Flickr - I don't have an account, don't launch  and relaunch

Footprints - don't use it, don't want it, I can't get rid of it.

Friend Stream - get rid of it

News - why does it need to run? I never launch it myself.

Peep - I don't use it, don't want it.

Skype mobile - I have a phone, why do I want a static-filled and distorted voip call, stop auto loading, go away

Stocks - don't use it, don't want it running on my phone

Weather Provider - even when I set it not to sync, it still loads, and still runs up battery time.

My battery life is not the best with the stock battery, and my extended battery will not get a full charge in the phone. Why is Verizon making us want to root the phone to get full functionality and control of our hardware?  This is what Verizon does with every decent piece of hardware they get, they put their own spyware on the phones and cripple the functionality that the manufacturer put in.. 

My wife just left our VZW family plan to get an iPhone on AT & T.  I will have to see if the rumors about VZW network superiority are true.

0 Likes