Re: Who thinks Motoblur should be removable?
Droiddudeaz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I liked the plain Android theme from my original Droid. After having a Droid 2 for a few weeks I (kind of) like the Motoblur lite on theD2. I think having it spread over 7 screens is overkill but I have the following Motorola widgets on my main homescreen: weather, social updates and the calendar app with 3 dates showing. The rest of the screen is the usual small widgets,app store, messaging, etc. I've come to embrace the blur to a point, but yes, I would like to have the option of removing them .

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
That is true, I used the LP for a while and had some force close and a little lag.

I find thay I have more stability and a lot more options.

In LP I have never found a way to change the columns and rows on the homescreen..I only saw an option the app drawer.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Cobjones wrote:
I don't think Google can do no wrong... far from it... the parts they locked down was to protect developers...
Oh they do.  You just don't see it as it doesn't affect you YET.  For you to notice you will have to read a lot of developer Terms of Use, and such.  They seperate them nicely enough that there are loopholes to take advantage of developers.
If they didn't lock down apps, then people would be working for donations (doesn't work).
It wouldn't matter.  Doing a simple search you can find ANY APK that's for sale on the market.  This is why developers give it out for free, but have to go through them on THEIR servers for licensing.  ChompSMS for example.
I know people do like some of the UIs... Like I said above, they just need to be removable. If we continue to let this crap on the phones the will eventually block out downloadable skins... so goodbye launcherpro goodbye adw (better than launcher).
It would have to be called down the middle.  You can't remove Google's stock UI without root.  I have never had a problem putting them over TouchWhiz, or Motoblur before.  All it will do is free up some space, and not that much space to make any revelance with the way newer device are starting to have bigger space.
Adding code on top of code is rarely a good idea... if I want my phone to look like a winmo phone from 2005 then I will leave sense.
One could just simply not buy the product if it bothered them that much.
I do think google can do evil, but you seem to think moto and verizon can do no evil.
On the contrary I have a different take on it, but it would require an essay to possibly get you to understand my point of view, and more than likely you will not agree with it.  So I'll let you believe that, but I have pointed the exact same thing on AT&T(got banned ironically), and T-Mobile(didn't get banned or suspended).  This is ranging from HTC, Apple, Motorola, Samsung devices(I am a phone freak).  It's all the same if you ask me regardless of what carrier.  I simply say if you don't like how things are you will get the same thing on another carrier.  If you truly want it to change you will have to convince Billions of cellular subscribers to get rid of the convenience of having a cell phone to get carriers to change.
@poolshark
You should know that adwlauncher>launcherpro

I prefer ADW.Launcher.  LP is another good choice.

0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
@tidbits

Read my first paragraph again (I jnow it is incorrect, but I posted a double negative) I agree with you.

Most people don't know how to search for an apk file... most don't even know what apk is.

I won't buy another moto phone ( I was given a Droid 2)

Why would I agree with you... I just think this... just because one company is better does not make it good. Verizon is the best out there, but I will give my money where I think I should spend it... I believe in capitalism and part of that freedom is complaining.

I like a lot of what you have to say... I have even given you kudos (you have no love for me though).

I am a pretty intelligent person with strong beliefs... one of those just happens to be me wanting my phones with a naked google android os.

And see you do know something.. you agree with me on ADW !!!

Love ya tidbits
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Cobjones wrote:
@tidbits

Read my first paragraph again (I jnow it is incorrect, but I posted a double negative) I agree with you.
I read it.  I was trying to be the other side of the fence so to speak.  I have a habbit of looking at both sides of the coins.
Most people don't know how to search for an apk file... most don't even know what apk is.
That is true, but most people don't know how to use their devices either lol.  Not saying you don't, but saying in general.
I won't buy another moto phone ( I was given a Droid 2)
I buy what works for me :smileyhappy:  I figure if I get a lemon I can always exchange it until I get one that works.
Why would I agree with you... I just think this... just because one company is better does not make it good. Verizon is the best out there, but I will give my money where I think I should spend it... I believe in capitalism and part of that freedom is complaining.
I agree with you on this comment.  I guess we agree more than we think.  I just don't think complaining isn't going to help when the $$$ not spent talks a lot larger than complaining on a forum will ever do.
I like a lot of what you have to say... I have even given you kudos (you have no love for me though).
I have no idea why.  It may be I wasn't logged in when I hit the Kudo buttons.  There's a lot of posts I agree with.
I am a pretty intelligent person with strong beliefs... one of those just happens to be me wanting my phones with a naked google android os.
Yes you are, and that's how people should be.  If Android was the way it should be(like the first device from Android INC) you could have done what you wanted and how you wanted.  Since Google bought the code they have changed it dramatically.  For better or worse this is what we are stuck with unless Google changes the licensing, but in turn it may end up losing manufacturer support.
And see you do know something.. you agree with me on ADW !!!
I am using my Epic 4G with TouchWhiz(I actually love some aspects of it), but wish I could combine ADW with those aspects.  I would be in heaven!
Love ya tidbits

Love ya too.  Everyone should love Tidbits.  rub my tummy!

0 Likes