Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why do I have to turn my data on to receive picture texts? Anyway around this?
stacy124

I just got the Droid Ultra 2 days ago and was liking it until someone tried to send me a picture text. It took 4 hours to download and then I realized that I only receive the pictures when I have my data on. I do not keep my data on as I dont want to go over my usage so what can I do to receive these messages without turning data on? Does this happen with all the new Android phones? My last phone was a very old Android and I did not have this issue at all. I received pictures without needing my data to be on. Is there an APP I can download that will help with this?

HELP!! I dont want to have to return this phone just for this feature.

Secondary question, the volume doesn't seem to be very high on this phone. I dont hear it when its in my pocket. Is there anything I can do for this or an app to make the phone louder?

Thank you

Stacy

Re: Why do I have to turn my data on to receive picture texts? Anyway around this?
B33
Sr. Leader

Stacy124 that is just part of the system all smartphones have to use this method to send this type of message there is nothing wrong with your Device.. depending on your plan if you send a small number of messages you should be fine just don't go crazy and send a hole bunch if you have a small amount of Data to use..  Hope that Helps enjoy your Phone b33

If you have any more issues and need assistance Just let me know..

0 Likes
Re: Why do I have to turn my data on to receive picture texts? Anyway around this?
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Picture texts won't send/receive over wi-fi, they require a mobile data connection.  However, they count against your text package, not your data plan.  I also keep data turned off until needed and it isn't that big of a deal for me to briefly turn it on in order to download the picture texts.

I don't have suggestions for making the volume louder if you already have it turned way up.  Some phones have a feature in the Call Settings that you can enable to increase the volume when the phone is in your pocket .. I don't know if the Ultra has this feature or not, but you may want to look.  An alternative would be to also turn on vibrate before you put the phone in your pocket ... a ring/vibrate combo works for some people.

B33
Sr. Leader

Certain ringtones say like that's in Zedge might help like the old  Telephone Ringer's and making an adjustment in the audio affects might  help as well.. Since I've got the phone close in the style as yours Stacy124 I will look further in the setting to see what i can find to make the ringer a bit louder Just a reminder of caution with the ringer volume set really high all the time it can tend to put stress on the External speaker..

0 Likes
stacy124

Thank you. My old phone, the original htc incredible, allowed me to receive picture texts without needing my data to be on. Can you explain whey they wont even work with wifi?

Second question, I imported some pictures from my old phone by copying them to my computer then pasting them to my new phone. It seems they are now in a folder under google photos. How do I get these into my gallery? Also, I was trying to use one of those photos as a contact's picture and it was making me accessing my data for that as well. Can you shed some light on this? I would hate to have to keep using my data for things like this where my previous phone didn't require data.

B33
Sr. Leader

Your Welcome.. and on your questions I'm going to have to put a pot of coffee on and put my thinker into action see what I can come up with with sending pictures messages The Link I included explains the why and the How..

On your second Question how to take a picture that is in the folder you mention try long pressing on the picture and see if brings up a small list of options if does see if shows your Gallery as an option if so press it see then see if any happens hopefully it move to the Gallery.. hit your home button then hit your apps button go to Gallery and see if the picture is in there and it may already be in there under a certain label but give that a try and let me know what ya came up with.. b

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service

0 Likes
stacy124

I tried long pressing on one of the pictures like you suggested but no option for my gallery comes up. Oh well. As long as my new pictures save to my gallery and are accessible, I guess I can wait until someone else has an idea. Thanks

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

B33
Sr. Leader

Stacy just seen your post I've been away from my computer but give a try this go to your Gallery in your apps tap on it when it opens look up on the right hand corner for 3 squires running on top of each other..

Look at my Screenshot below on the upper right corner is your Settings they took the place of the 4th button that use to be down on the bottom of the Android devices.. Tap these buttons and see if your Downloaded pictures are setting there let me know what you find.. b

101 Screen shot from Droid Maxx.png

0 Likes
stacy124

Hi. Nope that didn't work. Its ok. Thank you for trying

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

B33
Sr. Leader

Sorry I struck out but I'll keep searching If I find something more I'll let ya know.. Smiley Happy  Take Care have a Good evening.. b33 

0 Likes