Why does the screen go black when I make a call?
tman93hokie

I think I have a proximity sensor issue. When I make a call, I can dial without putting the phone to my face and the screen goes black. Ditto if I take a call and answer -- goes black before I even put it to my face. Likewise if I am on a call and take it from my face, it stays black.

I do not have a screen protector or case.

Any other thoughts or insights?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Possible Proximity Sensor issue
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the info! The next step I would recommend would be a factory reset http://bit.ly/NL5wza. If still happening after this, with no apps, the phone would need to be replaced. Did you purchase this phone from VZW?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tman93hokie,

That's definitely odd but we want to get to the bottom of this; it's important to have access to the screen once your call has ended. When did this start? Are you able to gain access to the screen by locking and unlocking the phone? Is the phone up to date on software?

Follow these steps and test:
1-Power off the device.
2-POwer ON
3-As soon as DROID Eye screen displays, press and Hold both Volume Up & Volume Down keys (Keep pressed until you reach Idle screen).
4-Then the main screen will display "Safe Mode".

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tman93hokie

It just started a few days ago. The phone has been used for about one

month.

Lock/unlock does no good. Software is up to date.

Did get it to boot in safe mode.

You can get the call screen to appear by pressing near the earpiece, which

is also close to the proximity sensor.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 9, 2014, at 8:25 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
tman93hokie

Two more things. When I say press, I mean you can squeeze the phone (pinch almost) near the earpiece.

And, the same thing happens in safe mode.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update and troubleshooting, tman93hokie! I'm sure that we can resolve this. I'm familiar with this issue because my device (not the same model as yours) does the same thing. I key question I have for you is how long does it take after dialing the number before the screen goes black? Is it immediate or does it take 5 seconds? If you've been able to time it, are the seconds before black the same? What we're trying to determine is if the proximity sensor is detecting objects or not. Random times before display black means proximity sensor, but consistent time before display black means its resulting from a device setting.

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
tman93hokie

I think it is intermittent. When it does it, it goes immediately. Then, I

usually apply a slight pinch with my thumb over the camera hole and my

finger against the back, and it comes up. And it may stay good for a call

or two. Or when I squeeze, it may go back as soon as I take my thumb off.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the information tman93hokie. Finding a resolution is a priority for us. Lets continue to trouble-shoot. Does your phone get hot when you press your face against it while making a call or ending a call? Have you had any minor liquid drop on your phone? Have you stopped by a corporate store to have it physically evaluated?

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
tman93hokie

No to all three.

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the info! The next step I would recommend would be a factory reset http://bit.ly/NL5wza. If still happening after this, with no apps, the phone would need to be replaced. Did you purchase this phone from VZW?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes