Re: after update apps start by themselves after being killed
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
budone wrote, "I wish I could find an app I had prior to my phone taking a dive, it had an option to see memory usage by program. But I can no longer find the app. "

Would "OS Monitor" be the app your looking for?

Sorry about the weird quote. I have not figured out to do "proper" quoting on my phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

w40d1n1 wrote:
But you implied that one app using a lib would lauch other apps. That is factually incorrect. My conment wasn't about closing an app, my comment (that you replied to) was about apps being started when calls/sms arrive.

No I implying regardless of what that task manager says.  Something IS NOT runnning if it has 0 processes.  If you force close the app it causes more problems and drains your battery as it makes more processes to begin with.  It's the same thing like a daemon.

I will wait for the day when you system becomes unstable enough, and your screen goes unresponsive with a blackscreen where you have to pull the battery out.  Then you will blame the device like most people do. 

Actually yes earlier you said Linux/OSX gives you an option to close an application.  I am pointing out Android gives you 2 ways to close an application without a TK.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Ann154 wrote:
budone wrote, "I wish I could find an app I had prior to my phone taking a dive, it had an option to see memory usage by program. But I can no longer find the app. "

Would "OS Monitor" be the app your looking for?

Sorry about the weird quote. I have not figured out to do "proper" quoting on my phone.

That was not it, but I will check it out. It was called, "Device Information". It is no longer offered. THANKS

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Tidbits, as many of us keep saying (over and over) the issue isn't task killers or which way(s) exist to kill a task. The issue is the apps (skype, vz nav, amazon mp3) that auto-start under various situations. Look at the title of this forum thread if there is any doubt or confusion on your part.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

w40d1n1 wrote:
Tidbits, as many of us keep saying (over and over) the issue isn't task killers or which way(s) exist to kill a task. The issue is the apps (skype, vz nav, amazon mp3) that auto-start under various situations. Look at the title of this forum thread if there is any doubt or confusion on your part.

Those apps are NOT running that's the deal.  They have 0 processes.  The reason WHY they look like they are there is because THEY SHARE Something with something is runnning.  AS the example Dialer, VoiceMail, Skype and TextMessaging.   You assuming they are autostarting, but they have 0 processes even if you close them.  Task Killers are confusing you and making you think they are "running" and taking up battery when they are doing nothing.

Nevermind I will let you guys believe what you believe, and keep thinking the windows multitasking way.  I think you guys would have a valid complaint if you were using a Windows Mobile device.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Tidbits wrote:

w40d1n1 wrote:

Those apps are NOT running that's the deal.  They have 0 processes.  The reason WHY they look like they are there is because THEY SHARE Something with something is runnning.  AS the example Dialer, VoiceMail, Skype and TextMessaging.   You assuming they are autostarting, but they have 0 processes even if you close them.  Task Killers are confusing you and making you think they are "running" and taking up battery when they are doing nothing.

Nevermind I will let you guys believe what you believe, and keep thinking the windows multitasking way.  I think you guys would have a valid complaint if you were using a Windows Mobile device.

Didnt I tell you a few days ago to not waste your breath???  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
You both aren't understanding the situation. If you force kill VZ Nav, it will not show up as a process. But as soon as you receive a sms/txt...guess what, VZ Nav starts showing up as a process. Again, this isn't about task killers nor process counts. It is everything about auto-starting apps based on an unrelated action on the phone.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

My last answer.  The task killer killed the "app" with 0 processes, but the cache that the OS has says it should be there.  Since it is not there the OS puts it back.  As I said there are ways to close the APP without the TK and doing it correctly, and if you should know what they are.

0 Likes
w40d1n1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Again, forget about the task killer, it's not part of the equation. Go to Settings, Applications, Manage, Running, and find VZ Nav and force close it. Wait for an sms/txt message, then go back to Running tasks and see VZ Nav running again.
0 Likes
thunderbucks

budone wrote:

Because you SEE an app as running, it most likely is not if you are not physically using it. Linux based OS use parts or processes (that is the correct terminology) of other programs to make another program run.

I'm sure this is true and all.  But if this is the case, why was this not as extreme/noticeable with 2.1 as it is with 2.2?  What happened to these supposed 400% performance increases?  Now a battery that was already horrendous has gotten worse, programs that I haven't even opened continuously need to be force closed, and navigating within the browser is now sluggish.

Thanks, Google!

0 Likes