backup assistant
cc5310

Cant use my backup assistant.  It says , Sync service fialed,  failed to read data from Android Contacts Provider.  How do I get it to work.  Please do not tell me I need to enter them all from my phone to the online backup assistant account.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: backup assistant
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Verizon's Backup Assistant will only backup your contacts and only those that are save as "phone only" contacts.

BA has had a rough road with android phones since October 2010. While I hope VZW has got it fixed by now, I can't personally verify it. I have been using Google to sync all of my contacts and I haven't lost a single one yet. This is all while I have gone through some factory resets and different phones (on different carriers, too).

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2
I've also wondered if the backup assistant can back up your Apps. It seems to only mention contacts and not Apps.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Verizon's Backup Assistant will only backup your contacts and only those that are save as "phone only" contacts.

BA has had a rough road with android phones since October 2010. While I hope VZW has got it fixed by now, I can't personally verify it. I have been using Google to sync all of my contacts and I haven't lost a single one yet. This is all while I have gone through some factory resets and different phones (on different carriers, too).

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

Botb, is there any way to backup your Apps as you do with an Iphone?  When you do a factory reset, you need to reload all the apps that you had downloaded.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
First off, my username is not BOTB. It is Ann154. BOTB means Best of the Best and is a temporary contributor title for the week. It is the same type of contributor title like Copper, Nickel, Bronze, Silver, and Gold.

As for reloading the applications, Google has a way that it will re-download your applications. I was surprised that it worked when I signed into my Tbolt the first time. Personally I don't care to have all my applications re-installed automatically. Why? Sometimes that factory reset was done to clear out an issue and if you re-download every single application at once you may be duplicating the problem that necessitated the Factory reset in the first place. I will backup my applications to the sd card before a factory reset, but only to use as a list of reference. After a factory reset, I slowly reinstall the applications. One application per every one or two days. That way I can ensure that I can isolate any potential conflicts.

There are some applications in the Android Market that can provide a backup and restore function for applications. Other users here know more about those applications then what I do.

0 Likes
vidguy7
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Ann154, sorry about that user name confusion.  I had to laugh when I saw what I did...pretty dumb actually!  Your comments make sense and your procedure is a good way to ensure you don't reinstall the issue that forced you to perform a factory reset in the first place.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
You are not the first to confuse that title as a username. Heck, I have seen some of the VZW employees screw it up. Then a week later, there is no way to know who they were addressing their post to because the title of the user has changed back to the Copper, Nickel or Bronze of their normal ranking.

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello cc5310,

Are you still experiencing opportunities with your Backup Assistant?  Ann154 had a great suggestion.  You can backup and restore you contacts with your gmail account as well, which ever you prefer.  If you prefer Backup Assistant and are still having issues please let me know so I can further assist you.  Thank you. 

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

I back up contacts and calander via my google account ( not a fan of backup assistance ) and apps, data, screens, and other misc. stuff I backup with the app MyBackup Pro. Just don't use MyBackup Pro to back up your contacts or calander or you will get duplicate entries when you do have to restore your phone. 

0 Likes