calendar apps
pearson100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are there any calendar apps that don't sync with google calendar, but can import from other calendar formats such as ical, ics, etc? When I read the descriptions in the Android market, I can't tell.

Thanks.

Droid Incredbile 2

0 Likes
Re: calendar apps
JonDoh
Contributor - Level 1

Not that I'm aware of.  When I had an iPhone I still set up a Google calendar account and then tied it to my iCal so that there was a three way sync.  If I added anything either in iCal or on the iPhone (I even used a third party calendar app) it would sync through Google and appear on the other device.  I would try that; there are instructions on Google's help pages about setting up auto sync through iCal. 

As for calendar apps, I've owned PocketInformant on my iPhone and it is extremely buggy.  There are always serious issues going on with it and seemed like every time they fixed one issue they created two more. When I got the Incredible 2 I switched to Calengoo and couldn't be happier.  It is stable and bug free and best of all comes with a Widget app, which PocketInformant does not.  I also allows you to use multiple calendars from Google, which you can color code each one if you like, ie personal items in green, work items in blue, etc.  It also has a built in task manager.  With a lockscreen app like WidgetLocker you can put the Calengoo App on your lockscreen and show upcoming events and todo's. 

Calengoo syncs nicely through Google, which can be set up to sync over the air automatically to iCal or any other ICS calendar app.

0 Likes
pearson100
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm looking for a calendar app that doesn't sync with google. But I do want to be able to import calendars in other formats.

0 Likes
JonDoh
Contributor - Level 1

There aren't any for Android, that I know of.  For the iPhone, yes, but not the droids.  Everything in Android is built around Google because Google owns Android. 

As a work around you could probably take an app like Calengoo, not set up sync with Google and set up your calendar.  Then connect the sync cable to the phone and your computer and maybe then drag an ICS file into the folder where calendar data on your phone is kept.  The question would be whether the calendar app would then read the ICS file, open it and apply the events.

0 Likes