contact photo overwritten by facebook photo
biohzrd

Hi,

I am a brand new owner of the Incredible. I had an iphone for 2.5 years and I am finding the learning curve for the android phone to be quite steep. So sorry in advance for dumb questions, but I'm used to it "just working".

If I link a contact with facebook the contact picture is overwritten by the facebook picture. How can I make my contacts linked to facebook and keep the picture I choose?

Now that I have your attention... how can I sort by last name? how can I search a field besides "name"? Can I assign a contact as "me" or am I forced to make a whole new one? How do I get rid of these stock "groups"?

And lastly where the heck is android for dummies?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

0 Likes
Re: contact photo overwritten by facebook photo
budone
Legend

Lisa, Welcome.

As for the picture, I dont think you can. As for sorting by last name, Froyo 2.2 was built with an option to do so, but it seems Verizon did not include it.

I tried sorting via the Backup Assistant and that did not work. I am not sure if you sort via Google and sync it that will work or not.

As for the last quetion, this site is fabulous for all us dummies.

0 Likes
eallen
You can sort by the last name by going to the name in people then hit edit. once in the edit mode select the name then you will see below the name a drop box which gives you the choice of having the first or last name listed first. it is possible to change the picture from the Facebook picture to the picture you want but can't remember how I did it. I kept messing around and finally figured it out. You can also go to the internet and under search look for "Droid incredible manual", download it and I believe it will download as a PDF file. Next go to your PDF viewer and it will be there select and open. Locate the PDF viewer by pushing the up arrow where all your other programs are located.
0 Likes
budone
Legend

eallen, is there a way to handle all the contacts at once, or does that have to be done individually?

0 Likes
eallen
Since you have already put them in I don't see any other way of doing it but individually. Sorry.
0 Likes
biohzd007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi again,

No matter how many times I try, I can't find a log in page for this service only a registration page, even though I'm logged in. Sigh. 

Anyhow I have over 4000 contacts on my phone which the guy at the verizon office transfered from my iphone. Frankly it's ridiculous that I can't sort by last name. The software that comes with this phone feels very "beta" to me. I thought it was released over a year ago. 

I've given up on the picture thing. I'm just demoralized that I had an iphone that handled 4000 contacts for almost 3 years flawlessly and even the most basic functions don't work on this phone.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Lisa

0 Likes
wp71401
Enthusiast - Level 3

Picture setting takes place when you open the Contact file. In the upper right hand corner of your screen is a little icon representing your "Link" (looks like two little chain links). Tap that icon. It takes you to the page that you can choose how to link the contact (ie, Exchange, Facebook, etc).

Once you're there you will see the picture in the upper left hand corner. It SHOULD have a down arrow. If you tap on the picture it should bring up a drop down menu and let you choose which picture you would like to use.

Now that that is solved, and you've clicked "done" or "saved" or whatever it is at the bottom you should now be back in your contact record. Tap on "Edit Contact". Now at the top of the screen you see your Contact's name. Tap on that. That should take you to the screen where you enter your contact's name (First and Last). There should be a drop down menu choice to either store the name "last name first" or "first name first".

Hopefully that helps. Good luck.

0 Likes
wp71401
Enthusiast - Level 3

Although I have just discovered that my DINC reverts back to the Facebook photo when my phone is turned off and back on again. That's a bit annoying. I don't know why it won't save my changes. I like to decide for myself how I'd like my phone to be set up! <growl>

0 Likes
biohzd007
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you so much wp71401! It worked flawlessly. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes