dissapointed in 2.2 rollout- why isn't there a download option from support page?
darcet

Very simple question:  I can understand not cluttering the wireless network by letting everyone doing an OTA update at once, but why not offer an update via ftp download?

0 Likes
Re: dissapointed in 2.2 rollout- why isn't there a download option from support page?
MastaCoz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree.  There are times when many of us cannot be on 3G to download the update for being in buildings, work, etc.  The option to download it, or have the VZ reps update it at the stores could really save them time, as well as the amount of people bugging them on why they haven't received the update yet.  Sprint rolled out theirs in a day, easy.  When I had the Pre, I got the update instantly when it came out.  Even Apple, as much as I hate their superiority to all human nature, released their update and everyone got it in one day...so why is a very good question!

There IS a download out there, but VZ said it would void your warranty.  How and why it would remains unanswered in all of the 4 dimensions.

0 Likes
Re: dissapointed in 2.2 rollout- why isn't there a download option from support page?
s_brethauer

Patience is a Virtue... Just wait it out. There's nothing on there worth getting hyped up about. 720p Vid capture, hotspot, a few other odds and ends. I would rather not have it right away anyway, give it time to work out some kinks.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i agree with the above. my theory is they start it out very slowly so they can put the breaks on it if there are any major issues. over the weekend hardly anyone got it, but now many paople are. @mastacoz....like you said, there is a download out there and i can verify that it is very simple...so anyone that really can't wait, can get it now. look for a thread here that dabukkin (don't know how to spell his screen name) posted earlier. and sprint did have issues with their 2.2 update and the pre is easy enough to push to the 100 people that still use the pre....lol. not takin a shot at you, but i suspect there are reasons you got rid of your pre. they can't give those away now. however, i agree that i don't see why vzn couldn't give us the download directly from their site.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Only thing your waiting for is the notification to update. The link to the zip cuts the notification out of the process thus getting you Froyo now instead of later. Same download link, different way to install it, end of issue. Download comes straight from Google server as usual.
0 Likes
MastaCoz
Enthusiast - Level 3
@azsaluki I loved the pre when I had sprint. Great phone and I respect the system itself. Unfortunately due to a hardware problem and the insurance wouldn't replace it as new I switched to verizon.

Nevertheless, there are many things verizon could do to speed up the process, yet its the community that truly sped up the process. I wish verizon knew their mistake and avoids it next time.

Btw, typing this on my incredible with swype. Hot huh?
0 Likes
impactdrill2

My issue with the OTA is that I have complained to them that the phone does not get 3G at my house. Heck; I dont even get service at my house hardly.  My signal level is 97 dMb at best and goes to 102 dMb at worst.  I do get notices that the market has an update when they become avalible.  Hoping the same will happen for the OTA.  If not then I'm stuck with the manuel update.  Only kept the phone because they promised a fix for the issues I had.  Well pass return time and to much $$$$ spent to buy another.  Have been disappointed with this phone.  All the other stuff it does is super, but as a phone in my case it sucks!!!

0 Likes