Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
droid 4 - doesn't go beyond the red droid screen.
droidser

out of nowhere, my droid 4 kept restarting and wouldn't go beyond the red droid screen. Was able to get to safe mode once to clear out some apps, but unfortunately had to do a hard reset. rebooted once, but it shut down again and wont go beyond the red droid screen.

prior to all this, noticed some sluggishness and checked to ensure it phone was updated to latest version.

still a few months away from upgrade eligibility - what are some options now?

0 Likes
Re: droid 4 - doesn't go beyond the red droid screen.
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Do you have an SD card in the phone?  Try removing it and starting the phone without the SD card.  You can also try removing and reseating the SIM card.

If you press and hold the power and volume up/down simultaneously, can you get to the Boot Mode Selection screen?  If you can, try a system cache clear:

Hold volume up/down & power simultaneously until you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu

Use volume down to navigate to 'Recovery', use volume up to select

Should see screen with triangle and exclamation point next to an Android

Press volume up/down simultaneously to go into system recovery

Use volume rocker to navigate to 'wipe cache' and use power button to select

Once finished, use volume rocker to navigate to 'reboot system now' and use power button to select

Let us know the results.

0 Likes
droidser

The phone does not have an SD card.

I've tried the recovery route already. the first time I did it, it booted up, and as I was setting it up (i.e. importing contacts, setting up my email accounts etc.) it froze again and shut down. It wouldn't reboot so I went the recovery route again and now it won't boot up beyond the 'droid' screen.

Not sure if this is a common problem with droid 4's... pretty much it stopped working without any warning. i didn't drop it recently, expose it to extreme heat or water/weather.. just normal day to day use.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

droidser wrote:

... I've tried the recovery route already. the first time I did it, it booted up, and as I was setting it up (i.e. importing contacts, setting up my email accounts etc.) it froze again and shut down. It wouldn't reboot so I went the recovery route again and now it won't boot up beyond the 'droid' screen.

Using the system cache clear as outlined above should not force you to reimport contacts or set up email accounts again - it simply clears the cache which may be causing sluggish or erratic behavior.  When I've done this with my Droid 4, everything is still there - it just works better after the cache clear.

How log does it sit at the Droid screen?

Have you tried booting it without the SIM card?  This will give an error, since it can't connect to the network without the SIM, but try it to see if you can get past the Droid screen without the SIM.  If that works, then power down the phone, re-insert the SIM, and try rebooting.

0 Likes