gingerbread, YAY or nay?
hendricks1

I've heard a lot of back and forth about it.  I know there has been some issues with it such as the phone staying frozen on the droid eye screen at start up, and no longer being able to text, and then there is also a blue tooth connectivity issue aswell... but how many people have actually had these issues?

0 Likes
Re: gingerbread, YAY or nay?
MrGadget

Since upgrading to Gingerbread, I've been having trouble with Rhapsody subscription music downloads.  Downloading of DRM music has been largely unreliable.  I'm not certain it's due to Gingerbread, but I have some fairly reasonable suspicions. 

Meanwhile, here's a list of Gingerbread issues for the Motorola DroidX:  https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/62696.  Not sure how many of them would also apply to non-motorola droid units.

0 Likes
hendricks1

downloaded update and havent' had any issues save for it getting stuck on the droid eye- but this was easily fixed by removing the battery, sim and sd card. and then trying again.

as for the rhapsody issue- power cycle, remove sim and sd, wait a min then try again doing a soft reset on the phone usually corrects issues like that.

0 Likes
DC5_K20Z1
Contributor - Level 3
Big YAY for this update. :smileyhappy:
0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nay.  Took away 13k vocoder. Now my call quality is back to crap. Wifi connection no better than before.  I still have one bar when sitting 10 feet from the router. And it drops a lot when up a floor.

0 Likes
curtisdr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll also add that there's no way to clear the voice mail notification without actually calling your voice mail and going through all that crap to listen to it.  I'm sure that was forced by VZW.

0 Likes
trparky
Contributor - Level 1

Serious amounts of YAY on this update!

In my opinion, this update is everything we had hoped for.  Stability, speed, better battery life, stable data connections, etc.  Yep... that about sums up the reasons why this update is better than EE4.

0 Likes
WTTTT
Enthusiast - Level 2

Even though I have a couple of issues, I would give it an initial "Yay".  I have not fully used everything yet but so far:

Yays:

~Phone seems MUCH faster in menus, scrolling, starting up, etc.

~Apps seem faster too.

~So far no dropping of data connection. (that was THE big frustration for me before)

~A couple of Apps I could not use in Froyo seem to be OK so far in GB.  The biggest one for me is Juice Defender.  Could not use before, but it seems OK so far.  Still need to test it more, but JD seems to be working as intended now without breaking the data connection.

Tentative Nays:

~Phone rebooted on its own once yesterday, several hours after the update. Was just sitting on my desk untouched and I saw the logo come up, then the red eye, and it restarted.  Hopefully this was a one time fluke.

~Camera shutter sound is now turned off when you turn system sounds off.  Used to be on or off as set in the camera app regardless of the system sounds setting.  So now if I turn off the system sounds I can not have a shutter sound on the camera.

~Camera has occasionally frozen when deleting photos.  Never happened in Froyo.

0 Likes
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3
BIG YAY!
I'm loving this phone again!

Rich
0 Likes
Richs10
Enthusiast - Level 3

WTTTT wrote:

~Camera has occasionally frozen when deleting photos.  Never happened in Froyo.

Someone in another thread suggested clearing the photo gallery data (Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, All, Photo Gallery). 
I did that and was then able to delete a batch of photos without a problem. 

Hope it clears up the problem

Rich

0 Likes