half of data plan used by Motorola app
eric_s1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can anyone tell me what "com.motorola.android.omadrm" is, and why it has used 527.4 MB of data when I have had this brand new phone (and brand new line of service) turned on for approximately 24 hours?

I am on a 1GB plan, and some Motorola application has used half of my plan in less than a day. I am not pleased.

Here are two screenshots. One is from Net Monitor application and the other from My Verizon:

Screenshot_2013-11-22-09-53-18.png

Screenshot_2013-11-22-10-00-52.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: half of data plan used by Motorola app
AZSALUKI
Legend

one more question......did the phone download an OS update when you activated it? sometimes, out of the box, a phone will be on an older version of the OS and immediately download and install an OS update, which could be 500mb's easily.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

were you streaming ANY media during that day?

0 Likes
eric_s1
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, since I didn't have any apps on there to stream with for most of the day yesterday. The only thing I was doing yesterday was downloading a few applications... but nowhere near 500 MB worth!

Also, I believe any streaming music would fall under that application's category of data, i.e. iHeartRadio would have something like 300 MB instead of 3.8 MB.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

while this thread relates to the razr, it's definitely a motorola issue in general. not sure if it will help, but check this:http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/182283-razr-nonstop-data-access-3.html

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

one more question......did the phone download an OS update when you activated it? sometimes, out of the box, a phone will be on an older version of the OS and immediately download and install an OS update, which could be 500mb's easily.

0 Likes
eric_s1
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are right! For some reason the OS needed to be updated yesterday and my wife ran the update.

When we got our new phones we picked which phone number we each wanted, and ended up mixing up the boxes. So she turned on my phone and updated it, and I had no idea because at the time I had her phone.

Just as a helpful tip, I went into Settings | About phone | System updates

In that menu you can see "Last System Update Information" which for me had a "Time" of "Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:43 AM"

AZSALUKI
Legend

cool.....at least it was a one time thing. watch that data though. 1 gig isn't much!!!

0 Likes
eric_s1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah 1 GB is not that much but the primary places where we use the phones (home + work) have WiFi, so we are starting with 1 GB and will increase it if needed. That is why I am already monitoring the usage.

WiFi was just not set up yet when the device was updated, since the phone had just been turned on for the first time, so it pulled the update down over 4G.