help! after update, phone will not charge on USB cable (Droid Bionic)
MizCue

after the most recent update and numerous instances of "OMG why did they change that" I got a suggestion to set up a battery saver rule. I did that and then plugged in USB charger since battery was at 20%. It would NOT start charging and instead said it was being used as a mass storage device! Prior to this update I could choose whether to use the connection that way but it would still charge. Not now.  I turned off that rule and tried to charge it and again it did not show it as charging. Left it on USB charger overnight and phone is completely dead this morning. What's going on? Why did the option suddenly change to "use as mass storage device" when I did not select that, and would not let me select "charge only" the way it used to???  Plugged USB cable into electrical outlet using adapter and now it's charging.

0 Likes
Re: help! after update, phone will not charge on USB cable (Droid Bionic)
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It should still charge while on a USB connection and in mass storage mode. Using the USB connection from a computer doesn't provide enough voltage to charge the phone properly especially at low battery like 20%.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
MizCue

This is not a helpful answer.

I've always used the USB cable to charge my phone.

Last night, after the "update", I plugged it in as usual and it switched, on its own, to "mass storage". I did NOT select that in any way. I tried to find a way to set it back to "charge only" and that was not a choice! This menu has changed, along with lots of other things in this update, that to me are NOT improvements. What happened to that menu? Why did the choice get made that this was now connected for mass storage? Why didn't the cable continue to charge the phone (as you say it should) when I left it plugged in all night? It was dead in the morning so it did NOT charge while on the USB cable.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The update for ICS (android 4.0) might change how the phone connects to a computer.  My Nexus running ICS connects to the computer very differently then my Tbolt running GB.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Sounds like your charger port (or cable) has gone bad.

0 Likes
jaymadd
Enthusiast - Level 3

MizCue wrote:

This is not a helpful answer.

I've always used the USB cable to charge my phone.

Last night, after the "update", I plugged it in as usual and it switched, on its own, to "mass storage". I did NOT select that in any way. I tried to find a way to set it back to "charge only" and that was not a choice!  This menu has changed, along with lots of other things in this update, that to me are NOT improvements.  What happened to that menu? Why did the choice get made that this was now connected for mass storage? Why didn't the cable continue to charge the phone (as you say it should) when I left it plugged in all night? It was dead in the morning so it did NOT charge while on the USB cable.

to unselect mass storage go to :

settings ---. storage ---> menu button ---> "usb computer connection" will pop up select it there you can un select mass storage by selecting one of the other options

0 Likes
B33
Legend

They Dropped the Charge only Option in I.C.S.)  But charging with a Computer is not really the Way to the Charge the Device the charger or block is what i call it that came with the Unit was Designed for the Phone as it Regulates the Correct power to your Phone. And with out it the phone doesn't get Charged Correctly)  And i know a little about power supplies as i operated a C.B Base Station for little over 20 years...

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That option also pops up in the notification bar whenever you plug the phone in. 

And regardless of which of the three options you choose, it should still charge your phone.

I'd also wonder if maybe the charger port or charger has gone bad.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, and if the phone is now completely dead, there's no way there's enough power coming from a computer to power the phone back up correctly. 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I agree

0 Likes