Re: help! after update, phone will not charge on USB cable (Droid Bionic)
Avalanche88
Enthusiast - Level 3

To charge the phone using a USB connection now, it cannot be in Mass Storage mode... select MTP instead (I have verified that this works... you can also try PTP which should also work, but I have not tested that option yet).

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Avalanche88 wrote:

To charge the phone using a USB connection now, it cannot be in Mass Storage mode

That's incorrect; the phone will charge via USB connection whether it's selected to mass storage, MTP, or PTP

0 Likes
Avalanche88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not after the ICS update... this was an issue reported on the Motorola forums. I even tried charging with USB Mass Storage selected, but it will not charge. I have to select a different option to get the phone to charge. Perhaps this is a bug, and SOME phones will charge in USB Mass Storage mode, but if you're like many others, and it won't charge in that mode, select a different mode.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe it is a bug that only, unfortunately, affects certain phones.  I have no problem at all charging my phone via USB Mass Storage ... it did it the past two days and is doing it as I type this.

0 Likes
mark38090
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone charges fine in mass storage mode.

0 Likes
MizCue

thanks to everyone who replied... I'd like to repeat that the problem started when I plugged in the usb cable to charge the phone and it would not charge. Then the notification pulldown said it was in mass storage mode, and there was no option to "charge only" which I would normally see. I switched to AC power and the phone appeared to be charging. Left it overnight and it was dead the next morning, not charged.  Brought the cable to Verizon store and they tested it and said the cable was bad.

So it was not related to update after all.

However, I bought a replacement cable that's "universal" and it charges OK but will not show me any options for data transfer! In other words, the icon for USB connection does not appear in the notifications bar.  I've seen some posts about this issue with Bionic and now have to bring the cable back to the store and try and get an "original" cable made for this phone. What a pain!!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MizCue wrote:

However, I bought a replacement cable that's "universal" and it charges OK but will not show me any options for data transfer! In other words, the icon for USB connection does not appear in the notifications bar.  I've seen some posts about this issue with Bionic and now have to bring the cable back to the store and try and get an "original" cable made for this phone. What a pain!!

Yep, those universal cables and Motorola phones don't go together, unfortunately.  You can charge with them, but not use them for data transfer.  You're on the right track, though ... you need an OEM Motorola cable ,,, hopefully that'll take care of everything.  Good luck!

0 Likes
supermother1962

i just did the update last night also& have always used a  usb now it says mass storage& wont charge helpppppppppppppppp

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 'charge only' option is gone with the update, as reported earlier.  But it should still charge regardless which of the three options you choose.  Has your phone battery died enough that that's why it won't charge via your computer?  Have you tried charging by plugging into the wall and if so, did it charge?

0 Likes
metfan122164

What of the reverse? After the 4.0.4 update, when I plug in thru the USB on my computer, all I get is "charging"; no options for drive F or so forth (and my PC is not recognizing the phone). I checked Q&A's at Verizon,l and it give a really nicely detailed remedy; unfortunately the first step is to open menu, and choose "notifications" (illustrating an earlier version of the Droid Bionic)... When I hit the menu button, I only have options for "Wallpaper", "Manage Apps" or "System Settings"... No "notifications".... Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

0 Likes