Re: help! after update, phone will not charge on USB cable (Droid Bionic)
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you plug your phone into the PC, you should get a notification in your notification bar at the top of the phone.  Slide it down to reveal the notifications.  You should have three options; all three should charge your phone while plugged in.  Choose 'mass storage' and see if the PC will then load any drivers it may need and then pull up the phone's info.

0 Likes
Avalanche88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you using a genuine Motorola USB cable? A generic cable will not allow data transfers.

0 Likes
MizCue

the original problem was that the charger (the original Motorola cable that came with the phone) died. I plugged it into the adapter for ac power and it showed as charging for about 20 minutes, then stopped. I went to Verizon to get a new cable and they sold me a universal one. They work only as chargers.  Verizon insists that universal cables will work for data transfer and had some very rude and condescending salesperson tell me that they work on all phones - even when I tell them it does NOT. Finally found someone at Verizon who told me I had to go to Motorola's website and buy the cable from them. Had to call them because this data cable/charger is not listed on their website. Finally got someone on the phone who gave me a part number and I ordered it over the phone. Phew! My phone charges fine, the connection icon now appears on the notification bar, and I can transfer data. But WHY did they get rid of "charge only" in this last update? Now when I plug it in and the various motorola devices come up on my laptop screen, I have to eject them before unplugging.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

MizCue wrote:

Now when I plug it in and the various motorola devices come up on my laptop screen, I have to eject them before unplugging.

A minor annoyance, but this bugs me as well.  At any rate, glad you are back up and running.  If you ever need another cable, you can get them off Amazon and ebay ... just be sure to get one from a reputable seller and one that is marked OEM (original equipment manufacturer).

0 Likes