*help* travel in Asia
chichilee128
Enthusiast - Level 1

I really need help. I'm traveling in Taiwan now and I purchase a LOCAL prepaid sim card. I insert the local sim card into my HTC incredible phone, but it's not working at all.  It kept saying no sim card inside. I remember when I purchased this phone at verizon store, the sale rept told me this is a global phone and when we're traveling, we can simply insert the local sim card and it will work. BUT now, it's not working at all.  I also when to HTC store in Taiwan, and they told me it's probably because it's locked phone, and I need to ask verizon to unlock my phone first in order to insert a local sim card from other countries ??? Is that true ? and why I was not told when I purchased it ?? How can I get my phone unlock while I'm currently not in the Sate ? HELP~~

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: *help* travel in Asia
chichilee128
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much, you guys are correct. My phone is incredible 2, and I just realized that I left my message on the wrong box. Sorry, and thank you very much for the clear information. I guess I'll need to wait until I go back to the State and then ask Verizon to unlock my phone for my next trip in 2 months.  thank you again. I really appreciate you guys get back to me. ^_^

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

It is global in that if you travel to an area that has CDMA technology, the phone will work. You are where the technology is GSM, the Incredible does not have a GSM radio.

The card the Incredible has is a memory card only, not a SIM card.

Your phone is a paperweight until you return home. Sorry.

NOW, if you have the Incredible 2, it IS a global phone, however to use a SIM from another country, you need VZW to unlock the phone or they will not work. However for them to do this, in most cases you need to have had the phone for 6 months (Or is it VZW service for 6 months), no late payments, etc......

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

The original Incredible (like mine) does not use SIM cards at all and is not a global phone. If you are using the Incredible 2 then this is the wrong thread to post in, but in any case, HTC is correct. You will need to contact Verizon and ask them for a SIM unlock code so you can use local SIM card in your phone. I don't kow what Verizon's policies are on these codes, but I expect that you may have some difficulty in obtaining one.

Sales reps are often not well trained, and the one you spoke to might not have known Verizon locks down it's phones (all US carriers do) so he/she didn't tell you the whole story.  The reason SIM locks are used is so that you can't use your phone on a competetor's GSM network in the United States. Very different business model from the rest of the world, and personally I think it stinks.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

@chichilee128, I think you are talking about the Incredible 2 (not the Incredible) which is a world phone, i.e. it has both GSM and CDMA capability. However, the sales rep you spoke with was really very mis-informed or had not clue what he was telling you.

Even though the GSM capability is present, it is by default locked down and the only way it will work is if you keep the original SIM in it and roam (I think its a Vodafone SIM, I may be wrong though). I do not know if Verizon entertains unlock requests, but it is worth a try. Other than that, you will need an unlocked GSM phone to use it with the SIM you purchased. Sorry.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

nimiaj wrote:

@chichilee128, I think you are talking about the Incredible 2 (not the Incredible) which is a world phone, i.e. it has both GSM and CDMA capability. However, the sales rep you spoke with was really very mis-informed or had not clue what he was telling you.

Even though the GSM capability is present, it is by default locked down and the only way it will work is if you keep the original SIM in it and roam (I think its a Vodafone SIM, I may be wrong though). I do not know if Verizon entertains unlock requests, but it is worth a try. Other than that, you will need an unlocked GSM phone to use it with the SIM you purchased. Sorry.

Hope this helps!

Verizon DOES entertain unlock requests. This can only be done by calling in to Verizon Global Support:

Please keep in mind that only Verizon Wireless Global Support Team completes the SIM Unlock procedur...

The following qualifications must be met for the SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) to be unlocked:

Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.

0 Likes
nimiaj
Contributor - Level 3

@rcschnoor, thanks for the clarification and confirmation that Verizon does help unlock! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
chichilee128
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you so much, you guys are correct. My phone is incredible 2, and I just realized that I left my message on the wrong box. Sorry, and thank you very much for the clear information. I guess I'll need to wait until I go back to the State and then ask Verizon to unlock my phone for my next trip in 2 months.  thank you again. I really appreciate you guys get back to me. ^_^

0 Likes