how are the updates pushed?
wesleyfamily

just wondering what if any sequence there is to updates being released to phones. 

My spouse and I have the same phone, he got his update at 9am today and i am still waiting.

how is it decided on who get the updates.  does it go by area codes or last four digits of the phone number?

just curious.

0 Likes
Re: how are the updates pushed?
RonAnderson
I'm not a vzw employee, but I would say completely random. When I was updated to 2.1 I had to be one of first to get it, because I heard someone say they didn't get their 2.1 till Easter and I had mine in February. I am still waiting at this moment BTW

Ron
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

^ interesting.  Don't think Eclair (2.1) actually started rolling out til the end of March.  

And no one really knows the schedule of the Froyo update.  I'm guessing it's probably done by ESN or some other identifier.  Below was the schedule for 2.1.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/30/verizon-to-start-android-2-1-updates-to-motorola-droid-owners-to/

*Software Schedule:*
Below is the software-upgrade notification schedule (All times listed are Eastern Time):

o At noon on 03/30, 1,000 users will receive notification of
the update.
o At 11:59 PM on 03/30, 9,000 more users will receive the
update notification.
o After the first 10,000 users receive the update on 03/30,
there will be a 24-hour period when no additional upgrades
will be delivered.
o On Day 3 (04/01), 200,000 users will receive the update
notification at 11:59 PM. This schedule will continue each
day thereafter until the update has been delivered to all users.

0 Likes
RonAnderson
I got my months wrong. Yeild to the man that has paperwork half a year old. :smileywink:

Ron
0 Likes
Not applicable
I'm almost certain it's not random. It's based on some sequence of numbers and/or letters assigned to each phone and/or user.
0 Likes
sgtpeppersband9

The updates are supposed to be pushed OTA, that is Over The Air.  If you absolutely cannot wait, I was able to do it without needing to root my droid.  Go to this site: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/03/manual-android-2-2-update-for-motorola-droid/  This will let you update to 2.2 safely without rooting your droid.  Simply follow the instructions and you will have FROYO.  Not sure if it is the last build which should be FRG22b.  I got FRG01b and is working without a hitch.  PS. As this is a non-rooted update, this will not cause your phone to possibly brick and the warranty will not be voided

Be Careful.  While our members are generally helpful and eager to provide useful information, be advised that Verizon has no obligation to monitor these linked sites, and is not responsible for them. Accessing any such linked sites is done entirely at the user's own risk.

0 Likes
Not applicable
...and you can brick your phone if you're not very careful.
0 Likes
Cobjones
Contributor - Level 1
Even with the step-by-steps I would not recommend that unless you are above average in current technology knowledge. I have seen way too many bricked phones.

..but yes it is generally easy to do these things... I don't do it because it could void my warranty and I need it with as often as I go through these phones.
0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

wesleyfamily wrote:

just wondering what if any sequence there is to updates being released to phones. 

My spouse and I have the same phone, he got his update at 9am today and i am still waiting.

how is it decided on who get the updates.  does it go by area codes or last four digits of the phone number?

just curious.

The 2.2 update is being released to all customers. The roll out began on August 3 and will end on Aug 18th. They are randomly being sent so you should receive yours momentarily.

(Taken from Natashia86 -Verizon employee- HERE)

0 Likes