maps turns off when driving
Stubs

Hi. I searched, but i could not find this so I think maybe I am doing something, or not doing something, that I need to do

When driving with the Droid X in a car dock with a charger, I have it on maps to see the traffic situation, when the screen will go dark and the phone will go into sleep mode needing a swipe to reopen. After I swipe it open, it goes back to maps, where it lingers, sometimes for 5-10 minutes before the screen stops again.

I set the screen to "never go off." but it doesn't help

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
Re: maps turns off when driving
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

Hi,

I have the same issue and it annoys me beyond belief.  Plus there is a major safety issue having to look away from the road and take my hands off the wheel to wake it back up every couple min.

It's important for the community to know that the navigation does not stop working and is audible the whole time.

I too set the screen to never time out and having a charger attached or droid x in the dock does not change the outcome.

My original Droid never had this issue.

I tried all kinds of settings to fix this but havent been able to.

Dj

0 Likes
gardengirls

I am having the same problem.  I called Verizon about it and because it is a Google App they really couldn't help me too much but say it must be something on Google's end.  But I did notice each time it has happened my phone was using the charger.  I haven't had it happen yet without the car charger.

I agree that it is extremely hazardous to have this happen when you rely on the directions to get you somewhere safely.

0 Likes
djtonic
Contributor - Level 2

I love when companies pass the buck to avoid resolving an issue.

The SAME version of the SAME software running on the SAME operating system on my original Droid doesn't have this issue.

So,  it may well be a "google" issue but it the problem is on their hardware and maybe it's motoblur that's causing the problem, who knows.

0 Likes
sunkistsudafed

Same issue here. The Nav works great on my phone other than the screen goes black and I have to push the home button, swipe to unlock to get back to Nav, all while driving. I used it for the first time Friday, and after it did this a few time, I just started to swipe the map every couple minutes to keep it on--pretty annoying.

0 Likes
Mace67

Same here. I find myself touching the screen every few minutes to keep navigator on screen.

0 Likes