more grief from verizon
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

As a paying vzw customer and after having paid for 3 moto bionic phones, I was hoping to attract the attention of someone employed by vzw who would either explain why this company has been holding up the bionic ics update, or direct me to where to find the official company response.As someone who has enough interest in this subject to have done some reading, there is a lot of evidence that the update has been approved my the manufacturer, and yet vzw seems to be living up to it's reputation as the fly in the ointment. Bionic owners are outraged and while we have directed that outrage to moto, we now look to vzw as the culprit. This is yet another example of deception and malice from vzw, and I wish to hear from the 'defendant' as to these charges. I expect this kind of negligence from vzw, however would really appreciate to know what the official company line is.   

0 Likes
Re: more grief from verizon
Tidbits
Legend

based on Motorola update pages which Verizon HAS NOTHING to do with.  Motorola hasn't even submitted ICS for testing.  So if you have a problem with the delay you need to bring it up with Motorola.

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

trying to find the other one that Motorola breaks down the phases and shows the Bionic still in the development phase.  Motorola has to submit something before Verizon can do a thing.  Motorola I believe is going to give credit to the devices they don't upgrade(devices released this year) for new Motorola devices with ICS.  I think it was $100 per device, but I don't know about how they are going to get early upgrades without taking a larger loss than $100.

0 Likes
rrutl
Contributor - Level 2

thanks for your reply and although my hope was for an official response (response from a vzw employee) there was nothing in your reply that was beyond my comprehension. After much reading, and many more assurances than you offer, it does seem that the most recent build of ics has been approved by moto. And furthermore, the talk is that moto and vzw have been in some unpublicized meetings related to this and other issues. vzw always has the last contact with any software updates prior to release, so the company does have some control over the final release. moto wants the update out to attempt to repair their image, but vzw wants people to abandon this phone and buy another one, this phone is solid just needs ics to maximize it's  potential. But again, my hope was for a response from a company rep, but thanks again. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No sorry it doesn't work that way.

1.  Motorola has to submit something, and during the development phases carriers has NO CONTROL what so ever.  Once it is submitted you would have a case.  As outlined by MOTOROLA themselves.

2.  Motorola has not submitted an update as it would be in the testing phase.  It has never moved from development phase into to the testing phase.  One reason why Motorola puts emphasis on the Bionic as to why they want to credit people.  They even said THEY themselves gave Bionic users a raw deal.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I have to agree with Tidbits here on this. In what I have seen on Morotola's Bionic Board, there are a few reasons why ICS is not ready and not even submitted.  Now this is all speculation as it did not come from either Motorola or Verizon employees.

1) Verizon keeps changing their requirements

2) Verizon keeps insisting certain Bloatware apps are installed

3) Motorola was given an order of priority on which phones get a release and when, and the Bionic was towards the bottom

4) Motoroal is trying to take all of the issues with the other ICS releases and fix them in the ICS Bionic release

Cannot tell you how accurate any of these statements are, but it is what is flying around there.

herrbifi

You know people that have no clue about the process should not be allowed to post their nonsense. Verizon absolutely has full control of authoring the release of an update. They even try their hardest not to release them so they can sell new devices. Motorola can not just put an update on Verizon's network. As a matter of fact Motorola has had a fully functional and stable ICS build for over a month now. I have personally been using it for over 3 months and it is amazing. Verizon techs have been purposefully, and more than likely instructed to deny each build.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Really show the proof? Motorola has said what we just said dude. They even had a website based on the process. It all starts with development. If they don't submit an update that's on them.

If you are using that beta build program Motorola is running...  I hope you know they don't submit the software until that is completed which they haven't said they completed yet.  Before you say I don't know what I am talking about...  I done it twice with the Droid 3, and the Droid X2.  Just a little heads up.  If this doesn't happen then Motorola has NOT submitted the upgrade.  If you got leaks that is just leaks, and not official software submitted.

This is specifically from the NEW CEO of Motorola in his own words from his G+ page

We have a plan for Bionic. I am currently solidifying things to ensure we can publish it, commit and follow up. I think you guys have gotten a raw deal and we could do way better. But you are one of the top few things I worry about when I look at Upgrades.

followed with

Again..I totally understand how you feel. And this should never happen. I am not going to throw out the argument "we just got here". We are taking responsibility for this. And we will engage with you, listen carefully to your concerns and most importantly, try to FIX things.

Now I don't know about you... The NEW CEO jumps in and starts to take over, and the first thing that happens... Delayed til Q4.  Doing a lot of programming and being with their program tells me they weren't working on it, or they had little man power working on it until recently.  Just because an update works for you doesn't mean it's ready.  There could be security bugs, or bugs you haven't experienced yet.  Much like the Galaxy Nexus update that happened recently.  It doesn't work for me, and I had to downgrade radios, but it worked for others.  Some people are having other troubles with it.  There are more than just you, and I bet some people are having trouble with the same leak as you and probably expressed it, but you don't care cause it doesn't affect YOU.

0 Likes
herrbifi

If you're going to quote Punit Soni's Google+ page read the entire thing first. He was referring to the payoffs VZW was paying the old Motorola executives to stall the release. If you need proof it's pretty easy Google "bionic ics 6.7.247" and choose any of the results.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Link it please I have been through all of his G+ page, and I see people speculating, but nothing like that coming out of his mouth.  So please show something where he said it specifically.

where I got that info from.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111499908439497508351/posts/4X7Eiq1kQC1

His first post leaving Google to go to Motorola

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111499908439497508351/posts/YvNoxqCQ53c

His first post at the office

https://plus.google.com/u/0/111499908439497508351/posts/5aDL6A87BM6

Then the 3rd post is the link I linked just above.  So explain please where you got that info, and make sure it's from him specifically...

0 Likes
herrbifi

Also you state one ics leak that is unstable and Motorola just got started on the builds. Let's look back leak 6.7.2233 came out 6/23/12 then came 6.7.229 then 6.7.230 then 6.7.232. All this was built on the old gb kernel and if anyone is having issues on Gingerbread with 4G dropping then you'll love Ice Cream Sandwich. Then they upgraded the kernel and built 6.7.235 which surfaced 7/13/12. After that came 6.7.238 then 6.7.242 then 6.7.244 then 6.7.246 and finally this week 6.7.247 which is incredibly stable and we have never seen the issues rzr or nexus did. Look we know you probably work for Verizon and troll these boards spinning it in their favor. Just accept the facts Motorola has had a stable build since July, hence their claim for early Q3, and Verizon has stopped it all. The builds have just gotten better and if you look at droidforum you'll see that.

0 Likes