"Settings" option is missing on my Droid X
silentwolfrt

i don't really know what happened but i installed a theme and some error came up saying it couldn't remove the theme (so part of the theme can still be seen such as volume adjust, loading circle ect.)  i noticed that the "Settings" option in the app drawer is missing!

i go back to the homescreen and push the options button and i tap settings but nothing happens! 

i looked everywhere online in forums and i found that you can download an .APK file to restore that function. I downloaded it and tried opening it but i get a message saying "cannot install 3rd party apps go to settings..." Well i can't get to settings to allow 3rd party apps! i tried a system restore (by holding power and home and selecting factory default) but even that doesn't help! Also the theme is still applied! 

any help? i can live without having it but i want GO KEYBOARD and i can't get to the keyboard & language settings. 

0 Likes
Re: "Settings" option is missing on my Droid X
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Try going into SAFE MODE and see if Settings is back -- and Uninstall that THEME. Something obviously hosed it.

You should also be able to get to SETTINGS by Pressing the Menu button once - and a menu that includes SETTINGS should be there.

Safe Mode:

Power Off

Press & Hold the MENU button

While continuing to HOLD the MENU button, power up the phone.

After 1-2 mins, it SHOULD come up and say SAFE MODE in lower left corner.

To get out of SAFE MODE, power off & on as usual.

(also, you can go ONLINE into your MARKET and Choose UNINSTALL of that Theme/App form there)

0 Likes
silentwolfrt

okay im going to try the safe mode thing, but the theme is uninstalled. I installed go launcher and it says 'this application is not installed' in grey letters in a blue box after touching 'settings' 

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

What does your MARKET say about GO LAUNCHER?  If you uninistalled it (successfully), you need to also Delete the Widget that it installed, if there is one.  I don't use GO Launcher - I use Launcher Pro Plus.  Do you have HOME SWITCHER (free) installed? if so, you can then Switch back to the default Moto Blur using that APP and then try to straighten out the issue with GO after the fact.

0 Likes
silentwolfrt

okay so im sure i totally uninstalled the theme because when i go on the theme in the market place it says 'install' but bits and pieces of the theme are still visible even after rebooting the phone. 

As for the safe mode thing, i did it and there was a rectangle in the corner saying 'safe mode' but i still couldn't get to settings. I touch it and nothing happens, its still not in the app drawer. im afraid to think that something is corrupted =( 

Also i just found out that long pressing the home screen to bring up 'widgets' i touch it and nothing happens! so now widgets dont work. 

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

Does SETTINGS come up as an option when you click on the MENU button?  This is all very strange ... not sure why you would have "remnants' around, and like you suggest, maybe someting IS corrupted.  How about trying to Reinstall Go Launcher? Maybe it will overwrite the garbage and reinstate it  properly?

Other than missing SETTINGS, does everything else function from a Screen perspective?  e.g., the original BLUR icons are back? or what ??

Did you donwload & Install HOME SWITCHER?

Otherwise, Might be time to try to CLEAR the CACHE ...  Let me know if you need procedure to do that ..  It won't hurt anything and might actually fix it ..  

After all that, probably time to consider a Factory Reset. Yes, a pain to reconfigure everything, but at least it will be back working.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I am trimg to figure out what kind of theme you installed on a Droid X because all images required to theme the stock UI required access to files that can void a warrenty...  Is the theme for a 3rd party launcher like Launcher Pro or ADW?

Disregard just realized you are using Go Launcher...  Sounds like you may corrupted some system files and a Hard Reset is the only option to restore system files..

Android version 2.3 (Gingerbread)

1. Power the device off.
    NotePress and hold the Power button then select Power off.
    NoteIf the device isn't responding to input, remove / replace the battery.
  2. Press and hold the Home key then power the device on.
    NotePress the Power button while holding Home.
    Home key
    Power button
  3. From the Android Recovery screen, press Volume Up / Down simultaneously.
    Volume
  4. Press Volume Down to select wipe data / factory reset then press the Power button.
    wipe data / factory reset
  5. Press Volume Down to select Yes -- delete all user data then press the Power button.
    NoteReset process to may take approximately 1 minute.
    Yes -- delete all user data
  6. Using the Volume Down key, ensure reboot system now is selected then press the Power button.
    reboot system now
  7. Refer to Initial Activation and Setup.

0 Likes
silentwolfrt

well i tried a hard reset on it already as mentioned, so now there is nothing on my phone, but remnants of the the theme are still there! i don't understand how it is still there!!! so now its totally wiped and 'motorola widgets' button does nothing! usually with motoblur those little gps, blutooth, wireless ect.. don't show up!  I also tried the clearing CACHE its still the same! 

this is depressing now that i can't access gps options, cause there is no way i can do that! i think i should just take it by a verizon store and see what they think...

0 Likes
Cody21
Master - Level 2

I guess I'm confused (as maybe Wildman might be) --  not sure what you mean by "tried hard reset" ...  did it do ANYTHING? At the conclusion of a Factory Reset, you should have a like-new phone out of the box ..  You will be required to once again login to Google which will download all of your APPs in Market again...

Did you follow Wildman's Instructions to the tee?????  I would do that again and let us know if anythig fails as the pictures

show ..

else your last resort is take it to a Verizon store and have them "re-flash" your phone.

0 Likes
silentwolfrt

okay i solved the problem by Flashing 2.2 froyo and then let the phone update over the air to gingerbread and everything is good as new! i don't know why factory reset wasnt working but i don't really know much.

so thanks for your effort!

0 Likes