Re: reboot Loop
kessah

Here you go cigdog004! Below is the first option I was given to try if my replacement phone went into the reboot loop.  Hope it works.  Good luck!!

Software v2.1 & v2.2 -

Power device off

Press and holdVOL DownandPower buttonat same time until screen displays with 3 androids at the bottom

PressVOLdown to highlightClear Storage, pressPWRButton to select option

Screen displays below information

Clearstorage

Delete All User Data?

NO

Note:If device is non-responsive, try a soft reset first by removing battery and power on device.

0 Likes
RexManteca
Enthusiast - Level 1

go to contacts.  hit the menu button and select import/export. you can export all your contacts to a .vcf file for transfer to another phone or re-import.  just make sure you export them to your sd card.

0 Likes
RexManteca
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've wiped a boot-looping dinc and installed a non htc version of gingerbread on it. boot looping was still problematic.  I would think that rules out htc as suspect, leaving the cdma apk's from our beloved carrier and/or general incompetence by the porter.  It appears to me that the cdma apk files for froyo and gingerbread may be the problem and those belong to vzw. moving to an alpha version of ICS has so far stopped the boot-looping.

0 Likes
padarjohn
Enthusiast - Level 2

kessah wrote:

Here you go cigdog004! Below is the first option I was given to try if my replacement phone went into the reboot loop.  Hope it works.  Good luck!!

Software v2.1 & v2.2 -

Power device off

Press and holdVOL DownandPower buttonat same time until screen displays with 3 androids at the bottom

PressVOLdown to highlightClear Storage, pressPWRButton to select option

Screen displays below information

Clearstorage

Delete All User Data?

NO

Note:If device is non-responsive, try a soft reset first by removing battery and power on device.

My Inc doesn't do anything if I power off, then hold volume-down and power buttons at the same time. If I release the power button while still holding volume-down it boots normally.

0 Likes
skywayman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Padarjohn,

You need to turn off Fast Boot under Menu -- Settings -- Applications

I had the same problem and Fast Boot was not letting me enter the rescue mode.

0 Likes
MetalBenderToo

Actually it is not 'power off' it is 'restart'.  Once the screen goes blank hold down the power and vol down and proceed (with patience) as noted above.  If you 'power off' and then hold down the buttons it will just sit there until the power button is released, then power up.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I also have IT history and have developed for WM and Android as well. basically the Kernel isn't the only thing in a devices OS that will effect device performance and compatibility, something as small as a radio update can effect a application.  Also the API has been modified as well as build prop data modification can cause compatible issues.

ICS has major overhauled the communicating method between the OS and applications so I really do not see how you can say this wont effect other things.    Now as for the Kernel that would be effected would depend on the device because HTC stock kernel for example is far from stock.

Besides ICS is not a update of the original Gingerbread code, it is a total rewrite.  So the thought that the kernel wouldn't been changed with ICS isn't sound.

GeoFisher

RexManteca wrote:

I've wiped a boot-looping dinc and installed a non htc version of gingerbread on it. boot looping was still problematic.  I would think that rules out htc as suspect, leaving the cdma apk's from our beloved carrier and/or general incompetence by the porter.  It appears to me that the cdma apk files for froyo and gingerbread may be the problem and those belong to vzw. moving to an alpha version of ICS has so far stopped the boot-looping.

Man, I was really hoping NOT to have to use a different rom.  I will but I'm hoping I'm fixed. 

I'm surprised by all the problems though......really surprised.  Especially with them getting ready to release Incredible LTE.  I was seriously looking into a 4g incredible.  Now, I might look elsewhere.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the heads up.

Later,

Geo

0 Likes
GeoFisher

Wildman wrote:

I also have IT history and have developed for WM and Android as well. basically the Kernel isn't the only thing in a devices OS that will effect device performance and compatibility, something as small as a radio update can effect a application.  Also the API has been modified as well as build prop data modification can cause compatible issues.

ICS has major overhauled the communicating method between the OS and applications so I really do not see how you can say this wont effect other things.    Now as for the Kernel that would be effected would depend on the device because HTC stock kernel for example is far from stock.

Besides ICS is not a update of the original Gingerbread code, it is a total rewrite.  So the thought that the kernel wouldn't been changed with ICS isn't sound.

So, are you saying this push is ICS...........I didn't think it was.......

This was a simple update to fix 3-4 issues, and some bluetooth stuff.  I could be wrong, but I didn't think this was ICS.

If so, that explains a lot, and I stand corrected Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Thanks,

Geo

0 Likes
padarjohn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wildman wrote:

This is not a major upgrade, and it's definitely not ICS. It's not even Honeycomb. ICS is Android 4.0, based on the Linux 3.0 kernel. This update is still Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), with Linux kernel 2.6.

You were originally comparing it to upgrading from WinXP to Win7. It's not even equivalent to a Windows Service Pack upgrade. This is a minor update, equivalent to  a monthly Windows security update. There's no reason for issues like this. Minor updates should never change APIs that could affect application behavior.