virtual keyboard doesnt always work
joegibbs
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have noticed a disturbing trend. When i popup an application that has in input box, while I can press the input box and get the virtual keyboard. The things that I type do not show up on the input area even though the auto-spell checker see's them and offers replacement works.

switching keyboards sometimes help. Rebooting the phone also helps, usually.

Am running droid x with stock OS

Accepting reasonable ideas.

Joe

0 Likes
Re: virtual keyboard doesnt always work
stef7
Master - Level 2

Maybe you have a low-memory condition.

Uninstall programs you don't use.

Move what applications you have that may be installed in phone memory to the microSD card. I like using Free Android Task Manager.

Clear the caches. I like using 1Tap Cache Cleaner.

Power down the device. Remove the battery. Wait. Reinstall battery.

See if the behavior changes.

0 Likes
joegibbs
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually that is a decent suggestion. I had been moving stuff to the SD card and slowly removing apps that I dont use. Will get more agressive about the app removal and see if that makes any difference.

Thx

Joe

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Thanks. You're welcome.

Here's one more suggestion. Depending on the phone you have and what comes pre-installed, there are others in the market worth trying, most free. You can swap between them by long-pressing in an input area and selecting Input Method. It's possible the issue is with the implementation of that particular virtual keyboard, i.e. that virtual keyboard is perhaps more sensitive to a low-memory condition than others. There are so may variables involved.

Anyway, report back. Most likely, you aren't the only one that experiences this behavior.

Memory management in Android, even if people tell you it isn't necessay, is really necessary IMHO. Doing these things often cleans up a lot of unexplained behaviors.

0 Likes